- Bearspaw Lifestyle Centre
253220 Bearspaw Road, Calgary (map)
The Bearspaw Lifestyle centre has an assortment of activities for people of all ages. Facility features include a banquet hall and stage, the homestead room for seating 40 to 50 people, a gymnasium, a dance studio and board room with seating for 12.
- Bearspaw Historical Society
253253 Bearspaw Road (map)
The Society has a historical school, teacherage and a replication of a barn. Meeting space in the barn accommodates up to 45 people.
- Weedon Pioneer Hall
42299 Weedon Trail (map)
The hall is located 30 km. west of Airdrie, and is utilized for community events, a waste and recycling transfer site, and is available for rent.
- The City of Calgary has numerous recreation facilities in close proximity to Bearspaw.
The County has seven electoral divisions, and a councillor represents each division.
Bearspaw is serviced by Bearspaw Fire Station 103 which is a full-time station providing fire coverage for the northwest area of the County.
A Canadian Pacific Railway station was located and named Bearspaw in 1909. The Bearspaw name originates from Chief Bearspaw, who was head of the Stoney Nations. He was an influential negotiator and signatory for the 1877 Treaty No. 7.
The Bearspaw area was settled mainly by dairy farmers. The first schoolhouse in the Bearspaw area had one classroom and was built in 1920 and it remained open until 1965. Bearspaw grew to include a mixture of farms and ranches, acreages and planned subdivisions.
Call 911 for medical emergencies. Rocky View County is serviced by ground ambulances operated by Alberta Health Services.
The nearest acute care hospitals with emergency services are:
- The Bearspaw Loop is accessible from RGE RD 30 and is a natural municipal reserve area with a designated pathway for walking. Interpretive signage highlights the natural habitat of the area.
- Big Hill Springs Provincial Park has natural regions of parkland, foothills, a large spring and a series of waterfalls providing for a beautiful backdrop for a peaceful walk. The park is located northeast of Cochrane on Range Road 34A off Highway 567.
- Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park is located along the north shore of the Bow River between Calgary and Cochrane. The park consists of more the 1,300 hectares of foothills parkland.
- 12 Mile Coulee is located in the far northwest part of Calgary at Tuscany BLVD NW, and Stoney Trail NW. The Coulee is a 190 hectare natural area park with two off-leash areas and numerous hiking trails.
- Charles Butler Park, located south of Highway 566 on the corner of Mountain View Road and Park Lane. The park has BBQ, ball diamond, picnic table and playground amenities and is open to the public year-round and is a great place to host outdoor events.
- The City of Calgary has numerous parks and outdoor recreation amenities close to Bearspaw.
Call 911 for all emergencies.
Responsible for keeping the peace, preventing crimes and investigating crimes already committed.
- RCMP Cochrane Detachment
Rocky View County Enforcement and Compliance
Responsible for public safety, promoting traffic safety, protecting County roads and infrastructure and enforcing County bylaws.
The majority of Bearspaw is serviced through water co-ops. To find out which co-op services your area, contact the County at 403.230.1401 or email@example.com.
Wastewater servicing is through private septic systems or pump-out systems.
Electricity & Natural Gas
Electricity and natural gas are deregulated in Alberta. The Alberta Government has a website to assist customers with choosing a provider for a residence or business. Contact your distributor in the event of a natural gas emergency.
Please contact FortisAlberta for electrical emergencies, power and streetlight outages at 403.310.9473 or at the FortisAlberta website.