Administration has revised the land use strategy for the Future Policy Area (FPA) of the Conrich Area Structure Plan (ASP) to align with the Calgary Metropolitan Region Growth Plan and following previous engagement feedback from the community. The draft ASP will be released on this page in the fall, following presentation of the Land Use Strategy to the County’s Governance Committee on September 12, 2023.
To view the Governance Committee discussion on the Conrich ASP on September 12, please go to the County’s Meetings and Hearings page at www.rockyview.ca/meetings-hearings (the meeting starts at 9.00am). Administration’s report will also be available from the same webpage.
Highlights of the revisions to the ASP include:
- Identification of the eastern portion of the FPA as a Long-Term Residential area, requiring further planning and ASP amendments for further progress. This was done to promote phasing of development from west to east with a focus on the Hamlet Communities before considering the outlying reaches of the Plan Area.
- Provision of policy guidance identifying distinct neighborhoods, some of which would be planned through County-led conceptual schemes. This allows for the comprehensive planning of each area and sensitive management of the required higher densities with a mix of housing types, amenities and recreation spaces, connections to the Community Core and provision of appropriate transitions to the existing residential neighbourhoods.
- Minor adjustments throughout the draft Plan to update and align it with recent approvals in the area, the RGP, and updated technical information.
Most of the technical studies have now been completed to a stage that they demonstrate that the new land use strategy is feasible; Administration will await further feedback from the County’s Governance Committee in September prior to finalizing these studies.
- Presentation to Governance Committee (September 2023)
- Public engagement (focus groups and open house) (October 2023)
- Finalization of the draft ASP (Q4 2023)
- Schedule Public Hearing, First and Second Reading of draft ASP (Q1 2024)
- Referral to Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (Q2 2024)
- Schedule Council Third Reading for adoption of ASP (Q3 2024)
The proposed schedule above is subject to change based on the feedback received from the community and other stakeholders such as The City of Calgary, which may necessitate additional time for further collaboration.
Council granted First Reading to the Conrich Area Structure Plan at the July 28, 2020 Council Meeting.
The County hosted a Workshop on June 10, 2019 to provide background information and gather feedback from the community regarding how development in the Conrich Future Policy Area should proceed. Materials from the Workshop are available for review:
Through the information gathered from an online survey, the June 10 workshop, and individual landowner meetings, an engagement summary has been prepared. The engagement summary, as well as a public input map are available for your review:
The Public Input Map is a graphical representation of the feedback provided at the June 10 workshop and not the final land use strategy. Based on the feedback received, policy direction, and technical criteria, the County has been preparing the draft Area Structure Plan amendments for Council consideration at future a Public Hearing.
Conrich is located within the southeast quadrant of the County, bordering the City of Calgary to the west and south, and the City of Chestermere to the south. The area contains a mix of residential, industrial and agricultural uses; and in 2018, the estimated population was 2,066 residents. This includes:
- 21 residents in the hamlet;
- 1,225 in the residential area (surrounding the hamlet)
- 626 in the Prince of Peace development;
- and 194 in the remaining area.
The Conrich Area Structure Plan was adopted in December 2015. The Plan provides a comprehensive planning and technical framework for a development area identified as a Full Service Hamlet and Regional Business Centre. The Plan seeks to ensure the integration of residential and business uses in a manner that provides for appropriate transition of land uses, compatibility, and mitigates the impacts of development.
Prior to adoption of the Plan, Council sought multiple amendments to address intermunicipal concerns and development constraints, including the proximity of the CN rail line. Among the most critical amendments were changes to the land use strategy for the hamlet core to establish the Future Policy Area. The intent of the Future Policy Area is to establish a hamlet boundary, community core, residential areas, and other land use areas that are consistent with the rest of the area structure plan policies.
Section 10 of the Conrich Area Structure Plan envisions the hamlet commercial area forming part of the community core. Section 16 of the Plan requires the Future Policy Area review to consider potential future school sites.
Master technical studies were undertaken for the Conrich Area Structure Plan and will be updated as necessary to support the development of the Future Policy Area that addresses concerns with respect to servicing, transportation, and stormwater.
The Conrich Future Policy Area project will involve public and stakeholder engagement, technical reviews, policy writing, and development of land use scenarios for the area. The plan will be prepared in the following phases:
- Phase 1: Project Initiation and Background Analysis
January - April 2019
Technical work and initial engagement with the community will be undertaken in this phase. Scoping of technical studies to be initiated including water and wastewater servicing, traffic impact, and an updated drainage plan.
- Phase 2: Stakeholder Engagement
May - July 2019
This phase will mark the official public launch of the project and includes engagement with the public and municipal neighbors to set the community vision, objectives and high-level land use strategy. The draft vision, objectives and potential land use scenarios will be completed in this phase based on feedback.
- Phase 3: Draft Area Structure Plan Amendments and Technical Assessment
2019 - current
County staff will prepare the draft area structure plan amendments and complete the supporting technical studies.
- Phase 4: Public Hearing
2023 - Date to be confirmed
On September 13, 2022, Council directed that the project proceeds in accordance with the approved Terms of Reference, and that the revised Area Structure Plan (ASP) be presented for Council’s consideration at a public hearing in the coming months.
The Conrich Future Policy Area project will align with other statutory plans, policies, and studies that have been adopted since the original Area Structure Plan came into effect in 2017.
Please visit the links below to review these related plans, policies, and studies:
There are several ways to get involved in this project.
- Contact us at email@example.com or 403.230.1401 for questions, updates or further information.
- Fill out the form below and we will send you regular email updates.
- Follow the project on this webpage. We will post regular updates and upcoming events.