After being placed on hold in September 2022, Council has directed that the Bearspaw project be re-initiated under an updated Terms of Reference. The new project timeline is as follows:
- September 2023 - Initiate technical studies, prepare background report, and update project work plan.
- October 2023 - Prepare draft land use strategy for public review.
- November 2023 - May 2024 - conduct public engagement, complete technical studies.
- June 2024 - October 2024 - Draft and refine the ASP document.
- November 2024 – January 2025 – First reading and Public Hearing at Rocky View Council, and submission to Calgary Metropolitan Region Board for regional approval.
Read the updated Terms of Reference here.
Administration will prepare a Draft Land Use Strategy for public review. This is expected to be completed in October 2023. The Land Use Strategy will be posted on this webpage, with public engagement to follow.
Fall-Winter 2019 (Phase 2)
Summer 2019 (Phase 1)
Rocky View County is currently reviewing plans for the Bearspaw area. The current area structure plan was adopted in 1994.
The Bearspaw Area Structure Plan is approximately 25,000 acres in size. The boundaries extend to the town of Cochrane to the east, to the city of Calgary to the west, to the north of the Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park and Big Hill Creek, Township Road 264 and Township Road 262 form the northern boundary.
Since the original Bearspaw Area Structure Plan was adopted, several municipal documents have been approved, including the County Plan, Glenbow Ranch Area Structure Plan, and the County Servicing Standards. In addition, the Interim Growth Plan and the Interim Regional Evaluation Framework (IREF) were adopted by the province. The purpose of this project is to create a comprehensive land use strategy that is current, effective, consistent with other statutory plans, and reflective of residents’ vision for the future of Bearspaw.
The Plan will be prepared in four phases:
|Project Initiation and Background Analysis
|March to June 2019
|Plan Writing & Draft Area Structure Plan Release
|Area Structure Plan (Public Hearing)
The Bearspaw Area Structure Plan Review will align with other statutory plans, policies, and studies that have been adopted since the original Area Structure Plan was completed in 1994.
Please visit the links below to review these related documents:
There are several ways to get involved in this project.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.230.1401 for questions, updates or further information.
- Fill in the form below and we will send you regular email updates.
- Follow the project on this webpage. We will post updates and upcoming events.