The draft Springbank Area Structure Plan (ASP) has been revised with consideration of the feedback outlined in the project Engagement Summary (see April 2022 report below) and regional planning policy.
Highlights of the revisions include:
- Amalgamation of the previous draft North and South Springbank plans into one overall ASP.
- A significant reduction in the amount of lands identified for development within the Plan area compared with the existing approved area structure plans.
- A significant reduction of high intensity development forms including Cluster Residential, Business, and Urban Interface areas from the ASP.
- Identification of four areas in Springbank that require careful planning through a County-led Conceptual Scheme particularly focusing on protection of existing residents, high quality design and preservation of the rural character of Springbank. These proposed areas include the Springbank Airport Employment Area.
The revised draft Springbank ASP can be viewed below:
Along with the draft plan, the Project Team has created additional materials that provide more information on specific topics.
The presentation from the Open House provides background information, key changes proposed, identifies the amended areas, features of the 2023 Draft plan, description of each focused area and next steps and can be viewed here:
Rocky View County has completed the community and intermunicipal engagement in summer of 2023, and is in the process of preparing an Engagement summary report for presentation to the Governance Committee in November 2023 and for further direction on how to proceed.
The County provided multiple engagement opportunities during the spring of 2022 to receive feedback on improving the draft ASPs. The engagement opportunities included an open house, virtual coffee chat sessions, and an online survey.
The following Engagement Summary provides an overview of what we heard.
Draft Plans granted second reading by Council and referred to the CMRB are listed below:
The technical assessments that support implementation of the Area Structure Plans are complete and include:
The plan will be prepared in the following phases:
Phase 1 – 4 as set out in the Terms of Reference are complete. Please see link below for details.
Phase 5 – Plan Refinement (Current)
- Engagement on currents drafts – March through May 2022
- Adoption of Regional Growth Plan – August 15, 2022
- Update to Council on implications of Regional Growth Plan – September 13, 2022
- Administration presented an update report to Council. Council approved a Revised Terms of Reference (PDF) for the project – December 14, 2021
- Administration presented an update to the County’s Governance Committee – April 4, 2023
- Public engagement on the revised Springbank ASP – June 2023
- Report feedback to County’s Governance Committee – Fall 2023.
Administration will undertake further work to refine the current draft plans and engage relevant stakeholders, prior to returning to Council for a Public Hearing.
For materials published during Phases 1 to 4, including previous iterations of the ASP(s), engagement reports, and open house materials, please contact the project team.
A new Springbank Area Structure Plan will ensure we have an up-to-date plan that aligns with other plans, policies, and studies that have been adopted since the original Springbank plans were completed. Please visit the links below to review these related plans, policies, and studies:
View a map of the Study Area (PDF)
There are several ways to get involved or receive updates on the project:
- Contact us at email@example.com or 403.230.1401 for questions, updates or further information.
- Fill in the form below and we will send you regular email updates.
- Follow the project on this webpage. We will post updates and upcoming events.