We’re revisiting how we plan development in Springbank and want to hear from you!
Following all the thoughtful input received on the Area Structure Plans (ASPs) over the past four years, the County’s vision for future growth in Springbank was ultimately rejected by the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (CMRB) on July 23, 2021.
For more information about the decision, along with all the supplemental information, please visit the CMRB website.
Regardless of the North and South Springbank ASPs being refused at a regional level, it is recognized that some Springbank residents did not feel heard when presenting their comments to the County on the final draft plans. The County project team apologizes for this.
On December 14, 2021, Council gave direction to revisit the draft Springbank plans and to undertake further community engagement to help inform revisions to the plans.
Refinements will ensure that the draft plans better align with community opinion and with regional planning policy. The County provided multiple engagement opportunities to receive feedback on improving the draft ASPs:
Following community feedback, the County hosted a work-shop style Open House on April 28, to provide an overview of the project from staff and allow for group discussions on key questions and themes.
Virtual Coffee Chat Sessions
The County hosted a series of coffee chat sessions from March 30 to April 14, to hear feedback on the draft North and South Springbank ASPs and how to improve our engagement efforts as we move forward.
The format included a brief overview of the project followed by a group discussion on questions and themes shared with participants ahead of the sessions.
Survey and Written Submissions
All interested residents and stakeholders were able to provide comments and input through a survey or direct email submission.
Written comments are always welcome. Please provide your comments along with your contact information for follow-up, to email@example.com.
Following the above engagement and feedback opportunities, the project team will produce an Engagement Summary Report, prior to preparing amendments to the ASPs. Once the revised draft ASP(s) are finalized, we will hold a further engagement prior to a public hearing.
Draft Plans granted second reading by Council and referred to the CMRB are listed below:
The technical assessments that support implementation of the Area Structure Plans are complete and include:
- First reading of the bylaws – July 28, 2020
- Public Hearings – February 16, 2021 [continued on February 22 and March 1] Meetings & Hearings
- Second reading of the bylaws and direction to submit the plans to the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (CMRB) – March 1, 2021
- CMRB Administration recommended approval of both ASPs after a third-party review deemed them consistent with the Interim Growth Plan – May 28, 2021
- CMRB Administration posted challenges to the recommendations of approval by the City of Airdrie, City of Calgary, Town of Cochrane, and Town of Okotoks – June 25, 2021
- The Plans were defeated at the July 23, 2021 CMRB meeting. Meeting minutes and video of the proceedings are available on the CMRB Board & Committee webpage.
- Administration presented an update report to Council. Council approved a Revised Terms of Reference (PDF) for the project – December 14, 2021
The plan will be prepared in the following phases:
- Phase 1 (Complete)
November – December 2016
Some technical work and early engagement with the community was undertaken in this Phase.
- Phase 2 (Complete)
January – June 2017
This phase marked the official public launch of the project and included engagement on setting the community vision, objectives, and high-level land use strategy. A revised Terms of Reference was adopted by Council on May 23, 2017.
- Phase 3 (Complete)
June 2017 – June 2018
The draft vision, objectives, and potential land use scenarios will be completed in this phase and presented to stakeholders for comment. The land use scenarios will be supported by preliminary technical assessments on transportation and servicing.
- Phase 4 (Complete)
July 2018 – October 2018
In this phase, the draft vision, objectives, and land use scenarios were used in discussions with the Growth Management Board and to negotiate the inclusion of identified growth areas within the interim growth plan.
- Phase 5 – Plan Refinement (Current)
December 2021 – TBD
Administration will undertake further work to refine the current draft plans and engage relevant stakeholders, prior to returning to Council for a Public Hearing.
Spring 2020 Draft (Phase 5)
Council’s amendments to each Area Structure Plan are available below:
Please note, changes from first reading are shown in red and motions of Council are shown in blue (deleted text is shown by
May 2019 Pre-Release Draft (Phase 4):
June 2018 Open House (Phase 3):
June 2017 Coffee Chats (Phase 2):
February 2017 Open House (Phase 1):
For more information on the Springbank ASP process, please watch this short video.
A new Springbank Area Structure Plan will ensure we have an up-to-date plan that aligns with other plans, policies, and studies that have been adopted since the original Springbank plans were completed. Please visit the links below to review these related plans, policies, and studies:
View a map of the Study Area (PDF)
There are several ways to get involved or receive updates on the project:
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.230.1401 for questions, updates or further information.
- Fill in the form below and we will send you regular email updates.
- Follow the project on this webpage. We will post updates and upcoming events.