2023 Road bans have been lifted.
Annually, spring road bans are put in effect in Rocky View County for commercial and heavy vehicles with heavy loads, to help extend the life span of the County’s roads. During the spring thaw, roads become soft and easily damage. Road bans help extend the lifespan of the County roads, including reducing road repair costs, and make it safer for motorists.
County enforcement officials will be doing spot-checks across the County.
Passenger and recreational vehicles are exempt.
During the ban period, the following restrictions apply to commercial and heavy vehicles, including agriculture loads or equipment:
- 90% on paved and gravel roads
- 75% on chip-sealed and oil-surfaced roads
- 50% on roads where conditions warrant
A list of the current road bans can be found here.
These dates are subject to change based on weather and road conditions.
- Agricultural operators may apply for an annual Agricultural Permit. Call 403.230.1401.
- For all other over-weight or over-dimension permits, Rocky View County uses Road Data Services as a permitting agent. Call 1.888.830.7623 for permits.
All special approvals, such as heavy hauls or travel on banned roads, require a minimum of three business days for permit approval.
Road Surface Types
View this map (PDF) for a detailed look at the road surface types in the County.