2023 Meeting Dates
- January 31
- February 14
- March 7
- April 4
- May 16
- June 13
- July 11
- September 12
- October 10
- November 21
Meeting agendas, minutes, and live streaming are available on our Meetings & Hearings web page.
The Governance Committee provides an additional forum for Rocky View County to fulfill its responsibility to provide effective governance.
- Opportunity for Council to offer effective guidance and oversight to Administration on governance and strategic matters to ensure the County functions in an effective and efficient manner and in accordance with Council's strategic plan.
- Provide Administration with guidance that will allow matters to be actioned by Administration and then brought to Council for a decision.
The Committee meetings are intended to encourage deliberation and debate of information and ideas, in a more informal setting. The Committee is not intended to replicate Council meetings but shall consider items that require additional guidance and a more fulsome discussion prior to being considered by Council for decision.
Role of Committee
Rocky View County Council delegates the following governance responsibilities to the Committee:
- Monitoring progress towards the achievement of Council’s strategic goals
- Providing guidance on Council policies
- Providing guidance on governance-related bylaws
- Receiving department reports as information
- Receiving updates and providing feedback and direction to Administration on projects and initiatives
- Receiving updates from Administration regarding changes to federal, provincial, and municipal legislation
- Providing clarification and direction to Administration when additional clarity and direction is necessary
- Any other governance or strategic matter that warrants further discussion or direction from the Committee
The Committee may make the following motions to:
- Direct Administration
- Refer matters to Administration or another body
- Receive matters as information
- Decide on procedural motions provided for in the County’s Procedure Bylaw
- The Committee will not hear presentations from the public. Public presentations are accommodated by the Public Presentation Committee.
- All sitting Councillors
- Deputy Reeve Kochan is Chair
- Councillor Boehlke is Vice Chair
- All members’ terms expire at the end of Council’s term in October 2025
- The Committee will meet monthly, at a minimum, on the dates and times set at the annual Organizational Meeting of Council. Additional meetings or special meetings may be held at the call of the Chair.
- All meetings are open to the public. If required, closed sessions will be held in accordance with the Municipal Government Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the County’s Procedure Bylaw.