There are three recreation and rental facilities available in Langdon which host indoor activities throughout the year.
A new Regional Recreation Site is currently in development.
Residents also utilize the nearby Indus Recreation Centre:
- Indus Recreation Centre
225155A Range Road 281A, Indus (map)
The facility has many programs and events for every age, and features include an ice arena, hall, meeting room, kitchen, softball diamonds and a riding arena.
The County has nine electoral divisions, and a councillor represents each division.
Langdon has a rich western prairie heritage dating back to the mid 1880’s when the Canadian Pacific Railway moved across the prairies serving the needs of the families who flocked to the area for the rich ranch and farm land. A station was established to service the large prairie east of Calgary and was the heart of the community. The surname of the contractor who built the rail line was Langdon and as was the custom at this time, the station was named after him.
By 1892, one store and four houses were built. A telegraph office was constructed in 1899. During the early 1900’s, Langdon underwent rapid growth with a population around 800 persons. Development of the community continued with the construction of a bank, general and hardware store, hotel, drug store, newspaper and lawyer’s office. Langdon was incorporated as a village in 1908. The bustle of activity in the early industrious years of the 1920’s brought the population to approximately 2000 residents.
Community Spirit was at the heart of day to day life. Streets in Langdon today are aptly named in honour of the homesteading families that gave life to Langdon over a century ago, a way of having history live on. An upside down horseshoe has always been Langdon’s logo and the town was recognized as “The Good Luck Town”.
Call 911 for medical emergencies. Rocky View County is serviced by ground ambulances operated by Alberta Health Services.
The nearest acute care hospitals with emergency services are:
- Langdon has almost 100 acres of parks and open spaces. In the east part of Langdon there is a network of open space stretching for five blocks from Henderson Road south to Wenstrom Crescent. The properties are openly grassed providing ample space for throwing a baseball, tossing a Frisbee or playing a game of touch-football.
- In the south part of Langdon, the Boulder Creek neighbourhood has a system of interconnected pathways, green spaces and a golf club.
- Langdon Park consists of 28 acres with a skate board park, an outdoor hockey and ice skating rink, softball fields and running throughout the park is a system of paved pathways.
- McKinnon Flats is located south of Langdon on the Bow River and Range Road 274. It is common to see deer, and a variety of song and water birds in the area. This is public access point to the Bow River and a popular area for trout fishing.
- Rocky View County Council has approved $45,000 to create an off-leash fenced dog park, with construction scheduled to take place during the summer of 2020.
Call 911 for all emergencies.
Responsible for keeping the peace, preventing crimes and investigating crimes already committed.
- RCMP Strathmore Detachment
Rocky View County Enforcement and Compliance
Responsible for public safety, promoting traffic safety, protecting County roads and infrastructure and enforcing County bylaws.
The County currently has a franchise agreement with Langdon Waterworks to provide water service. For more information call 403.936.5161 or visit the Langdon Waterworks website.
Wastewater services are managed by Aquatech Canadian Water Services. For help and information call their 24 hour number at 403.352.8151.
Electricity & Natural Gas
Electricity and natural gas are deregulated in Alberta. The Alberta Government has a website to assist customers with choosing a provider for a residence or business. Contact your distributor in the event of a natural gas emergency.
Please contact FortisAlberta for electrical emergencies, power and streetlight outages at 403.310.9473 or at the FortisAlberta website.