Fire Permits are free and can be obtained from Rocky View County Fire Services.
Permits are not required for the following activities:
- Cooking food using a portable appliance
- Recreational fires or cooking food in a fire pit
- Burning within an acceptable burning barrel and/or incinerator
Only clean fuel is to be used such as natural gas, dry wood, or charcoal, in amounts that will be contained within the fire pit and the flame height is not to exceed one metre.
For all other circumstances, a valid fire permit issued by Rocky View County Fire Services is required.
Permits can be obtained by submitting a request through the online form below, or, if necessary, requested by calling 403-230-1401 or at a County Fire Station.
Fireworks permits are required by law. In the County, any person selling or discharging fireworks, either consumer/recreational or professional, must have a valid Fireworks Permit.
County Fire Guardians are responsible for assisting in the area of fire prevention and the control of fires through the Forest and Prairie Protection Act. Fire Guardians are located throughout the County; volunteering their time and resources to issue countless fire permits each year.
For information regarding your local Fire Guardian, contact Rocky View Fire Services at 403.230.1401.
Prohibited Burning Materials
As directed under Alberta Regulation 211/96, certain materials cannot be disposed of through burning, including:
- Animal manure;
- Non-wooden material;
- Pathological waste;
- Preserved wood;
- Rubber or plastic, or anything containing or coated with rubber or plastic or similar substance, except rubber or plastic attached to shredded scrap steel;
- Used oil;
- Solid waste from sawmills or planning mills with an annual production in excess of 9500 cubic meters of lumber;
- Waste material from building or construction sites excluding wooden material that do not contain wood preservatives;
- Combustible material in automobile bodies; and
- Wood or wood products containing substances for the purpose of preserving wood.