The following information is a guide for participating in Public Hearings during COVID-19 restrictions.
Method of Input
Public gatherings are severely limited due to COVID-19, but you can still provide your input on any Rocky View County public hearing through:
- a written submission; OR
- an audio recording; OR
- a video recording; OR
- sending an email submission during the public hearing.
Information on the dates, bylaw numbers, and public input submission deadlines for County public hearings can be found at www.rockyview.ca/public-notices.
No matter how you submit, you must state whether you are FOR or AGAINST the matter. You can be in favour of some parts and opposed to others, and you can discuss these specifics in your input. But you must classify your overall input as FOR if you are mostly in favour, or AGAINST if you are mostly opposed.
Providing the same input in multiple ways does not increase your impact on the public hearing. The points you make are considered by Council, but extra consideration is not given to any one point simply because it is repeated in different formats. You should choose the method of providing input that is best for you, and gives you the best opportunity to state your case.
Submitting in Writing
All written submissions must be received by the deadline indicated on the public hearing notice in order to be included in the Council Meeting Agenda package. Late submissions cannot be accepted.
Written submissions must be provided in email, PDF, Microsoft Word, or physical copy format.
- Email: Put your comments in an email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the bylaw number of the public hearing in the subject line, and your name and your municipal address (or legal land description) in the body of the email.
- PDF or Word: Your submission must be set up for an 8.5 x 11” page. It must be one single document, and be no more than 20 MB in size (your email service provider may have a smaller size limit). Attach your submission to an email and send it to email@example.com. Include the bylaw number of the public hearing in the subject line, and your name and your municipal address (or legal land description) in the body of the email.
- Physical Copy: Your physical submission must be on 8.5 x 11” paper, and be single sided. You must include the bylaw number of the public hearing, your name, and your municipal address (or legal land description) on the first page of your submission. Place your document in an envelope and write “PUBLIC HEARING INPUT” clearly on the outside. Mail or courier your submission to:
Legislative Services, Rocky View County Hall
262075 Rocky View Point, Rocky View County, AB, T4A 0X2
Your physical copy must be received by the submission deadline. If needed, there is an After Hours Drop Box (mail slot) at County Hall that you can use to deliver your submission. Please use only this drop box – County Hall is closed to the public due to COVID-19, and staff or security guards cannot accept your submission in person.
Submitting an Audio or Video Presentation
Presentations are strictly limited to five minutes per person, or ten minutes if you are speaking on behalf of a group of three or more people.
Begin your presentation by clearly stating your name and the municipality you live in (such as Rocky View County, Calgary, Cochrane, etc.). Do not provide your phone number or other personal information on your recording.
If you are speaking on behalf of a group, you must state your name and municipality, and then the names and municipalities of two other people who have specifically given you authority to speak on their behalf. This counts against your time limit, so there is no need to give more than two additional names even if your group is larger, unless you believe it is important to do so. Do not provide phone numbers or other personal information on your recording.
- Audio: Submissions must be in MP3 file format, and cannot be more than 20 MB in size.
- Video: Submissions must be in MP4, MOV, or WMV format, and cannot be more than 300 MB in size.
When your presentation is complete, have the bylaw number of your public hearing ready and CLICK HERE to submit your file.
Note: Rocky View County cannot assist you in preparing or submitting your presentation. If you do not have the equipment or technical ability to record and upload your input, please provide your submission in writing.
Submitting an Email During the Public Hearing
Public hearings are streamed live. If you have not already submitted your input through one of the above methods, you can watch the hearing and submit an email with your input. Your email must arrive:
- after the start of the Council Meeting during which the public hearing is scheduled; but
- before the point in the public hearing where the Chair calls an end to input on the matter.
Send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the bylaw number of the public hearing in the subject line. In the body of the email, give your name and your municipal address or legal land description.
Email is not instantaneous. Be sure to allow several minutes for your submission to arrive, be virus checked, and delivered to the Legislative Services inbox before the Chair ends the input phase of the public hearing.
Council will be given time during the public hearing to read your email. Please be as clear and concise as possible.
Please remember, emailed submissions are not a “chat” or “question and answer” process. Your email must state your case for or against the public hearing matter.
Information on County public hearings can be found at www.rockyview.ca/public-notices.
Rocky View County cannot assist you with your input. However, if you have questions of clarification on anything outlined on this page, or on the public hearing process in general, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 403-520-8197 or 403-520-1651.