Dogs are considered at large when they are not under the care and control of their owner.

Dog owners must keep control of their dog when off their property in both rural and urban areas. Dogs can be walked without a leash; however, owners must be able to control their dog using verbal commands.

In addition, dogs are not allowed to go into any flowerbeds of any park, or into or upon the lands of any cemetery within the County.

Lost Dogs

Dog licensing is easy and important in the return of lost dogs! If a lost dog is found wearing its license tag, the County will use the information in their records to contact the owner before the dog is impounded. Lost dogs are taken to either the Calgary Humane Society or the Cochrane Humane Society.

Rocky View County residents who have lost their dog, or have found one, can call 403.230.1401 to speak to Enforcement Services.

Ownership Responsibilities

  • Owners are responsible to pick up after their dog and dispose of the droppings in a garbage container.
  • If a dog is crying, barking or howling, it is likely a concern to people who live nearby. It's up to dog owners to ensure their dog does not disturb their neighbours.
  • See Responsible Pet Ownership for more information and tips.

Canine Contacts


Enforcement Services
T: 403.230.1401
F: 403.230.7091

An Enforcement Officer is available Sunday through Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Please call 403.230.1401

Call 911 for immediate emergency assistance such as fire, ambulance and police services.

Other Animals

The Livestock & Animals page provides answers to commonly asked questions regarding keeping pets, livestock or poultry on your property.

For information regarding wildlife, living with wildlife and damage control programs, visit

Report an Issue

Use the Report an Issue form to notify us about stray livestock, lost & found pets, unsightly premises, traffic-related concerns, or other issues related to bylaw enforcement.