Agricultural News


Helping Farmers: Annual Agricultural Permits Available for Road Bans

Many Rocky View County residents rely on farming as their livelihood for which trucking plays an important role for transporting grain, seed, fertilizer, and livestock along the County’s roads. At critical times during the year, such as spring thaw, bans are posted which restrict the amount of vehicle weight on roads up to 50%, 75% or 90% legal axle weight. Bans protect roads when conditions leave them susceptible to damage under heavy loads. To lessen the impact road bans may have on farmers’ hauling operations, the County offers exemptions with the Annual Agricultural Permits. 

What do agricultural permits allow? The permit allows the permit holder to haul at one increment above the current posted ban along any of the County’s roads. For example, if the road is posted at 50% legal axle weight, the permit holder can haul at 75% legal axle weight. If the road is posted at 75%, the permit holder can haul at 90%. And if the road is posted at 90%, the permit holder can haul at 100%. 

Who qualifies? The permit is available only to Rocky View County farmers who own and operate their own trucks as part of their private and non-commercial farming operation. This permit is not available to commercial haulers. 

What can be hauled? The permit is only valid for hauling agricultural commodities including feed, seed grain, livestock, fertilizer, hay, and straw. 

Are there permit fees? No fees required. 

How long is the permit valid for? The permit expires on December 31 in the year it was issued.   

How do I obtain a permit? Contact Rocky View County at 403-230-1401 and ask for Road Operations. The applicant will need to provide the following information:  

  • Name 
  • Address 
  • Phone number 
  • Fax number 
  • Email address 
  • Vehicle information  
  • and haul route information. 

Once the permit has been prepared, a copy of the permit will be forwarded to the applicant via fax, regular mail, email or made available for pick-up during regular business hours.  

Other Conditions 

  1. The permit holder must have a copy of the permit when hauling.    
  2. The permit holder is responsible for any road damage caused by the hauling operation and must report any road damage immediately to the County at 403-230-1401.                                                     


Posted in: Agriculture