2016 Census of Agriculture Benefits Farmers
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
The Census of Agriculture is now on the horizon. In early May, you will receive a letter with easy to follow instructions on how to complete your questionnaire.
Census of Agriculture data are the definitive source of community-level data. By drawing on these data, decision makers will be assured that they are acting in the interest of farmers, farm communities and agricultural operations.
Farm organizations are heavy users of census data and draw on this information to formulate policy recommendations, produce communications and outreach work, and conduct market development.
Regional, provincial and federal government policy advisors use Census of Agriculture data to help develop programs related to farm support and to evaluate the impact of natural disasters (such as floods, droughts and storms) on agriculture. This allows for a quick reaction when a natural disaster does occur.
The Census of Agriculture has other benefits:
- It identifies trends and provides factual information on emerging issues, opportunities and challenges within the agricultural community.
- Its questions cover a wide range of topics, such as land use, crops, livestock, agricultural labour, machinery and equipment, land management practices, and farm finances.
Support your community and complete your Census of Agriculture questionnaire in May 2016! It can be completed by anyone who is responsible for, or knowledgeable about, the day-to-day management decisions of your farming operation. As required by the Statistics Act, the information you provide will be kept confidential and used only for statistical purposes.
Important changes made to the online questionnaire for 2016:
- Streamlined and easy to complete
- Shorter and 30% faster to complete than in 2011
- Respondents are no longer required to provide detailed farm expenses
- Automatically adds totals and skips questions that don’t apply to your operation.
Completing your questionnaire online is quick and easy:
- Go to Statistics Canada’s website at www.statcan.gc.ca and select the online questionnaire
- Use the secure access code you will receive in the mail in May and conveniently complete your questionnaire.
As a farm operator, you are legally required to participate under the Statistics Act.