Currently taking applications until December 3, 2023.
Come and Join the TEAM! We need community members to answer the call!
Looking for something different in your life? Want to develop new skills? Interested in connecting with like-minded people, being an invaluable asset to your community and helping your neighbours and your community stay safe?
Paid-Per-Call firefighting at Rocky View County:
- Rocky View County has seven fire stations with three of them being paid-per-call stations. Fantastic community members make up nearly half the firefighters in our County serving the Madden, Irricana and Langdon areas.
- Paid-per-call Firefighters do so much more than fight fires, they educate their neighbours about home safety, and support community events and good causes.
Who is a paid-per-call firefighter?
- Paid-per-call firefighters are all ages (18+), all genders, and come from many different backgrounds. Experience outside of firefighting will provide great value to the team. Current team members have a variety of ‘day jobs’ such as: farmers, mechanics, bankers, electricians, sales people, construction workers, parents, corporate executives, students, and I.T. professionals, to list just a few!
What is the commitment to be a paid-per-call firefighter?
- After initial onboarding at County Hall, training takes place once a week in the evening at the local fire station. A commitment to attending training is important. When “life happens” (as it does to us all) your leadership team will work with you to ensure you continue to grow your skills and meet the requirements.
- Attendance of five calls as your availablity allows.
What does training include?
- Firefighters are trained in medical first response, fire suppression, water/ice rescue, leadership, wildland protection, teamwork, motor vehicle extrication, community preparedness, home safety and public education to name just a few areas.
What is the pay?
- Paid-per-call firefighters start at $21 per hour and this progresses with training and time as a firefighter.
- There are no-out-of-pocket expenses, all required personal protective equipment and training is provided for you.
- Paid-per-call firefighters have insurance coverage through the County and WLB.
- You will qualify for annual Tax credits of up to $3000.
What are the requirements:
- No previous experience necessary.
- Live within a 15-minute drive from the station in Madden, Irricana or Langdon.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Class 5 or more advanced driver’s license. (non GDL preferred)
- Adequate health and fitness to safely participate in training and be on the fire ground.
How do I join?
- Connect with us. Send an email to HR_Advisors@rockyview.ca (please include “PPC Firefighting” in the subject line). HR will call you to ensure you meet the requirements and inform you about the hiring journey. You can also call HR at: 403-520-8155
- The intake/batch training/competition/onboarding is clustered together twice a year (spring and fall).
- If you have talked with HR you will be notified when the intake will take place. If you see it posted on the website, under Careers apply directly.
Your new journey begins here. You’ve taken the first step!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!! We look forward to welcoming you.