Paid-per-call (volunteer) firefighters are not scheduled for shifts at a station. They commit to regular hours for training and station upkeep. Volunteer personnel perform similar duties to full-time and part-time personnel and receive training (NFPA 1001 Levels 1 and 2, Driver/Pump Operator, etc.) in order to be competent and capable. Learn more by downloading the following document:
There are two groups of paid-per-call (volunteer) firefighters:
- Primary Response Paid-Per-Call (Volunteers): Must live within an eight-km radius, or a 15-minute drive from the communities they serve. When an incident occurs, these volunteers are alerted via an app on their cell phone and respond to the call if they are available.
- CSA approved black steel toed boots
- Secondary Response Paid-Per-Call (Volunteers): May live up to a one-hour’s drive from the communities they serve (within 20 minutes is preferred). They are notified by a text message when a large incident has occurred in the County and are deployed from their assigned fire station.
- Class 3Q driver's licence (or equivalent)
Application and Selection Requirements
Applications are only accepted when there is an open competition but you can build your profile at any time on our careers website. Once you have created a profile, you can set up an alert to be e-mailed when a job in Fire Services is posted. Visit rockyview.jobs to view listings of all current positions or to apply to an open competition.
Complete applications must contain all of the following elements:
- Resume and cover letter
- Copies of any related training certificates
Once your complete application package is received and reviewed, you may be contacted for an interview. The interview is comprised of behaviour- and scenario-based questions and is held with a small panel.
If selected for interview, you will be required to provide:
- Contact information for three references
If you are selected to move forward after the interview, you will be required to provide:
- Medical clearance form (PDF)
- Criminal record with vulnerable sectors check (from within six months of the date of your interview)—This can be obtained from the RCMP or city police office closest to your residence. Rocky View County can supply you with a letter indicating you are applying for a volunteer position which will reduce the cost of the record check.
- Abstract Consent Form which allows Rocky View County to request your five-year commercial driver’s abstract.
If everything is in order, your references are checked and your file is forwarded to the selection committee. If selected, an offer will be made and upon acceptance you will be scheduled for orientation. You are not eligible to attend at the station in any capacity until you have completed orientation.