Council Decisions: November 14, 2023
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Here is a summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the November 14, 2023 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council voted to approve Springbank Recreation Funding Policy C-706 to establish an eligibility framework for community groups to access the Springbank Recreation funds to develop a community event centre, as proposed in the South Springbank Community Facilities Business Case and Recreation Parks Master Plan.
- Council voted to approve Municipal Tax Ratio Policy C-223 to provide strategic direction on the long-term financial viability of the County through maintenance of a balanced tax ratio which distributes the tax burden between residential and non-residential assessment classes.
- Council voted to approve User Fee Policy C-224 to provide a uniform, consistent, and transparent approach in considering and establishing user fees for relevant goods and services offered by the County, and enable efficient and effective decision-making and ease of administration of the user fees of said goods or services.
- Council voted to direct Administration to prepare amendments to Direct Control Bylaw C-6402-2006 to prohibit the construction of future secondary approaches within Direct Control District 120, and prohibit the use of secondary approaches for the storage and parking of commercial vehicles within Direct Control District 120. Administration is also directed to prepare amendments to Roads and Transportation Bylaw C-5775-2003 to prohibit the overnight parking of commercial vehicles on roads within Direct Control District 120.
Planning and Development
- Division 7 – File: PL20220168 and PL20220095 (03222827), Bylaw C-8350-2022 and Bylaw C-8349-2022, Local Plan and Redesignation Item: To assess two relevant applications in order to support mixed-use development within the Painted Sky Conceptual Scheme area within the hamlet of Langdon. PL20220168 (Bylaw C-8350-2022) – To include a new policy of Gateway Node within the Painted Sky Conceptual Scheme, to facilitate future mixed-use development. PL20220095 (Bylaw C-8349-2022) – To redesignate Lot 1, Block 14, Plan 2111497 within NW-22-23-27-W04M from Commercial, Local Urban District to Commercial, Mixed Urban District, to facilitate future mixed-use development including various commercial uses and diverse housing options, and to add a new clause in C-MIX to allow some discretionary uses within Gateway Node of the Painted Sky Conceptual Scheme. The proposed new discretionary uses include: Auctioneering, Automotive Services (Minor), Establishment (Entertainment), Recreation (Outdoor), Recycling/Compost Facility, and Religious Assembly. Considered under the Langdon Area Structure Plan and Painted Sky Conceptual Scheme. Council amended the proposed discretionary uses, removing Auctioneering and Recycling/Compost Facility. Approved as amended.
- Division 5 – File: PL20230058 (07006004), Bylaw C-8412-2023, Direct Control Amendment Item: To assess a site-specific amendment to Direct Control District Bylaw C-4110-93 (DC-37) to allow for light/medium industrial use within NW-06-27-25-W04M. Considered under the Calgary Metropolitan Region Growth Plan. Approved.
- Division 4 – File: PL20220097 (08916010), Bylaw C-8477-2023, Redesignation Item: To assess the redesignation of Lot 4, Block 1, Plan 0710865 within NE-16-28-05-W05M from Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p12.1) to Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p8.1) to facilitate the future subdivision of one ± 8.21 hectare (± 20.29 acre) lot. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20230011 (07624010), Bylaw C-8422-2023, Redesignation Item: To assess the redesignation of Block 4, Plan 731324 within NE-24-27-02-W05M from Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p.8.1) to Residential, Rural District to facilitate future subdivision of one ± 2.02 hectare (± 5.00 acre) lot with a ± 5.01 hectare (± 12.36 acre) remainder. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 3 – File: PL20220216 (06812014), Bylaw C-8399-2023, Redesignation Item: The purpose of this report is to assess the redesignation of Block 13, Plan 8185 JK within NE-12-26-04-W05M from Agricultural, Small District (p8.1) to Residential, Rural District to facilitate future subdivision of two new ±1.60 hectare (±3.95 acre) lots with a ±1.60 hectare (±3.95 acre) remainder. Considered under the Bearspaw Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 1 – File: PL20210090 (04718006), Subdivision Item: To assess a proposed subdivision of a portion of SW-18-24-03-W05M, to create a ± 1.85 hectare (± 4.58 acre) parcel with a ± 20.40 hectare (± 50.42 acre) remainder. Considered under the City of Calgary / Rocky View County Intermunicipal Development Plan. Approved.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Janet Area Structure Plan CMRB Process Update” under Sections 21 and 24 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session with no follow-up action.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “RFP for Chief Administrative Officer Recruitment” under Sections 24 and 25 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session with no follow-up action.