Council Decisions: April 25, 2023
Wednesday, April 26, 2023
Here is a summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the April 25, 2023 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council received a presentation on the 2022 Audited Financial Statements. During the presentation, Council moved into closed session to consider confidential item “2022 Year End Financial Statements” under Sections 24 and 25 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, and approved the 2022 Audited Financial Statements, including details of a of $10.7 million operating surplus to be transferred to the Tax Stabilization Reserve, variance analysis, and an overview of audit findings by MNP LLP. Administration will submit the financial statements to the Province, as required by the Municipal Government Act.
- Council approved the terms of reference for the Joint Planning Area 1 Context Study intended to establish the processes, roles and responsibilities, contents, schedules, deliverables, and budget within the context study report to guide development of a Preferred Growth Area located between the City of Airdrie, Rocky View County, and the City of Calgary.
- Council approved the terms of reference for the Joint Planning Area 2 Context Study intended to establish the processes, roles and responsibilities, contents, schedules, deliverables, and budget within the context study report to guide development of a Preferred Growth Area located between the City of Chestermere, Rocky View County, and the City of Calgary.
- Council voted to direct Administration to prepare amendments to the Circulation and Notification Policy C-327 to provide a standardized circulation and notification radii of 1,600m (1 mile) for all application types outside of hamlets, and 800m (½ mile) within hamlets. Administration is to report back to Council no later than the end of July 2023
- Council approved the 2023 Tax Rate Bylaw C-8394-2023 to authorize the rates of taxation levied against assessable property for the 2023 taxation year to support the general municipal services and emergency services delivered by Rocky View County to its residents.
- Council approved the Langdon Recreation Special Tax Rate Bylaw C-8395-2023 to authorize a special tax for recreation services in the hamlet of Langdon available for non-profit organizations that provide recreation programs, amenities, or events exclusively within Langdon.
- Council approved Local Improvement Tax Bylaw C-8396-2023 to fund the rehabilitation of the water and wastewater distribution infrastructure for the Prince of Peace Village community.
- Council approved Local Improvement Tax Bylaw C-8402-2023 to fund the rehabilitation of the water and wastewater distribution infrastructure for the Prince of Peace Sage Properties community.
- Council granted Third Reading to the proposed amendments to the Electoral Boundaries and Council Composition Bylaw C-8361-2023 intended to change the title of the Chief Elected Officials to Reeve and Deputy Reeve from Mayor and Deputy Mayor.
Planning and Development
- Division 6 – File: PL20220174 (04329003), Bylaw C-8387-2023, DC District Amendment Item: To amend Direct Control Bylaw C-8195-2021 (DC-175) to reduce the minimum setback distances for the principal building. Considered under the Conrich Area Structure Plan. Council did not approve ‘consideration of Third Reading’. This item will now come back to Council at the May 9 Council Meeting.
- Division 6 – File: PL20210186 (03333001), Residential Subdivision Application Item: To create a ± 4.33 hectare (± 10.70 acre) parcel (Lot 1) leaving a ± 58.63 hectare (± 144.87 acre) remainder (Lot 2). Considered under the Janet Area Structure Plan. Refused.
- Division 6 – File: PL20210202 (03314006), Residential Subdivision Application Item: To create a ± 0.81 hectare (± 2.00 acre) parcel (Lot 1) leaving a ± 2.43 hectare (± 6.01 acre) remainder (Lot 2). Considered under the County Plan. Approved as amended.