Council Decisions: April 11, 2023
Wednesday, April 12, 2023
Here is a summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the April 11, 2023 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- As part of the finalization of Rocky View County’s 2023 Operating and Capital budget Council approved a net operating budget adjustment to reduce the estimated tax increase from 6% to 3%, and directed Administration to transfer $2,131,700 to the Tax Stabilization Reserve for future projects/service level funding. Council also approved a budget adjustment of $2,147,500 for external requisitions collected through the property tax system to accommodate an increase of $2,090,300 for the Alberta School Foundation Fund, $53,400 for the Rocky View Foundation, and $3,800 for the Designated Industrial Property. Complete details are available within the April 11 Spring Budget Finalization Agenda item.
- Council approved amendments to Late Tax Payment Penalty Cancellation Policy C-204 to reflect the new penalty structure outlined in Tax Penalty Bylaw C-8358-2023, and to clarify requirements for a penalty cancellation request to be considered by Council.
- Council approved the terms of reference, with amendments, for the Aggregate Resource Plan, which provides a high-level framework for the overall project, with a focus on Phase 1 relating to establishing a Stakeholder Advisory Committee composed of appointed County residents and aggregate industry representatives. Council also approved a budget adjustment of $75,000 to fund Phase I of this initiative.
- Council voted to support Mayor Kissel’s application to serve on the RMA Committee on Quasi-Judicial Agencies and that the County shall be responsible for per diem costs associated with participation.
- Council approved a Motion first read into the record on April 11, 2023 supporting Councillor Boehlke’s and Councillor Wright’s application to direct Administration to amend the Circulation and Notification Policy C-327 to provide a standardized circulation and notification radii of 1,600m (1 mile) for all application types outside of hamlets and 800m (½ mile) within hamlets in order to reach affected community stakeholders more effectively.
Planning and Development
- Division 3 – File: PL20210146 (07923023), Bylaw C-8305-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject land from Agricultural, General District to Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p8.1), to facilitate the creation of one new parcel. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 4 – File: PL20210010 (08909002, 08910010, 08910021), Road Closure Application Item: Council approved First Reading of Bylaw C-8139-2021, to close a ± 1.58 hectare (± 3.91 acre) portion of road allowance, between SE-9-28-5-W5M and SW-10-28-5-W5M, and consolidate equally between the eastern and western parcels. Considered under the County Plan. Bylaw C-8139-2021 will be forwarded to the Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors for approval. Council also directed Administration to provide a Plan of Survey and an Appraisal of the road allowance area prior to consideration of Second and Third Reading.
- Division 4 – File: PL20220106 (06724008), Bylaw C-8385-2023 - Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p8.1) to Residential, Country Residential District to facilitate future subdivision. Considered under the Bearspaw Area Structure Plan. Refused.
- Division 3 – File: PL20220104 (06708005), Road Closure Application Item: To close a ± 0.23 hectare (± 0.58 acre) portion of undeveloped road allowance (Road Plan 2479 Q), to facilitate a future consolidation into the lands at NE-08-26-03-W05M. Considered under the County Plan. Approved. The item will now be forwarded to the Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors for approval.
- Division 3 – File: PL20220123 (07808010), Road Closure Application Item: To close a ± 0.735 hectare (± 1.86 acre) portion of undeveloped road allowance (Road Plan 6397 I), to facilitate a future consolidation into the lands at NE-08-27-04-W05M. Considered under the County Plan. Approved. The item will now be forwarded to the Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors for approval.
- Division 5 – File: PL20210203 (06415001/06415062), Residential Subdivision Item: To create a ± 1.62 hectare (± 4.00 acre) new lot (Lot 1), a ± 2.57 hectare (± 6.34 acre) new lot (Lot 4), with a ± 1.83 hectare (± 4.52 acre) remainder (Lot 2) and a ± 1.72 hectare (± 4.25 acre) remainder (Lot 3). Considered under the Balzac East Area Structure Plan. Approved as amended.
- Division 4 – File: PL20220137 (07711001), Residential Subdivision Item: To create a ± 4.20 hectare (± 10.38 acre) parcel with ± 58.12 hectare (± 143.62 acre) remainder. Considered under the County Plan. Approved as amended.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “CAO Update” under Section 24 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, with no follow-up action.