Council Decisions: February 21, 2023
Wednesday, February 22, 2023
Here is a summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the February 21, 2023 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council granted Second Reading of Bylaw C-8020-2020 to amend the Janet Area Structure Plan long-term development area to address feedback from adjacent landowners, Administration, and the City of Calgary. Council approved several additional amending motions related to berms, landscaping, and pathway connections within the setback area adjacent to Prairie Schooner Estates. Administration is directed to refer Bylaw C-8020-2020 to the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board for approval.
- Council received, for information, a presentation by Macdonald Communities on a proposed Cochrane Lake Revitalization Plan, including water quality improvements, a recreational pathway system, flood mitigation solutions, and funding mechanisms.
- Council then approved a motion arising directing Administration to work with MacDonald Communities to investigate all funding models that would financially contribute to the improvement of the Revitalization of Cochrane Lakes project.
- Council approved the continuation of the Fire Guardian Program into 2023 including appointed volunteer Fire Guardians, and directed Administration to continue development of annual fire permits, and explore mobile data collection solutions for the 2024 permit season.
- Council approved a motion arising directing Administration to investigate the advantages or disadvantages of creating a separate bylaw for the Fire Guardian Program.
- Council approved a budget adjustment of $170,000 taken from the Stormwater Drainage Mitigation Reserve to be put towards Stormwater Drainage Projects Policy 459 to advance the top five projects to a construction-ready phase. These projects include:
- 70 Emerald Bay
- 116 Emerald Bay
- Indus Drainage Improvements: SW-16-22-27-W4M 224038 Range Road 264
- 27 DeWitts Pond
- Kestral Ridge Farms RR-32/Springbank Rd
- Council received, for information, a report from the Operations department outlining the findings from a review of drainage and groundwater issues in the Elbow Valley West area, including current status of the lands and wet pond, past surface water drainage investment, and consideration of future subsurface groundwater evaluation.
- Council then moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Council initiatives – Groundwater Issues in Elbow Valley West” under Section 23, 24, and 27 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, with no follow-up action.
- Council approved Bylaw C-8381-2023 intended to repeal current Safety Codes Permitting Bylaw C-5158-2000, as the information in the bylaw is already provided within various other legislation, the Rocky View County Quality Management Plan, and the Master Rates Bylaw. No new policies or bylaws are required, and no permit applications will be impacted.
Planning and Development
- Division 5 – File: PL20200015 /PL20220088 (06507011), Bylaw C-8377-2023, Redesignation Item: PL20200015 (Bylaw C-8377-2023) - To redesignate Lot 1, Plan 0010744 within SW 07-26-01-W5M from Residential, Rural District to Special, Public Service District to accommodate a Religious Assembly use on the subject parcel. PL20220088 (Sri Lankan Buddhist Society Calgary Master Site Development Plan) - To support the Sri Lankan Buddhist Society Calgary Master Site Development Plan (MSDP), which provides a non-statutory policy framework for a Religious Assembly use on Lot 1, Plan 0010744 within SW 07-26-01-W5M. Considered under the County Plan. Refused.
- Division 7 – File: PL20220189 (03222206), Subdivision Item: To create a ± 5.26 hectare (± 13 acre) new lot with a ± 12.46 hectare (± 30.79 acre) remainder, to facilitate a new junior and senior high school within the hamlet of Langdon. Administration shall work with Rocky View Schools and Alberta Land Titles to remove County ownership interests in that lot, and removal of County ownership interest in proposed Lot 1 shall be contingent on concurrent removal of the Rocky View School Division No. 41 from the ± 12.46 hectare (± 30.79 acre) remainder lands (proposed Lot 2), thereby ensuring sole ownership of Lot 2 by Rocky View County. Considered under the Langdon Area Structure Plan. Approved as amended.
- Division 6 – File: PRDP20226218 (03314001/2 & 03311001/2/3/6), Development Permit Item: Development permit application for installation of a solar farm and ancillary uses, including a substation, community gardens, portable buildings, and over-height fencing. Considered under the County Plan. Approved with conditions.
- Division 1 – File: PL20220021 (03909009 & 03909034), Subdivision Item: To adjust the boundaries between a ± 3.59 hectare (± 8.88 acre) parcel and a ± 3.55 hectare (± 8.76 acre) parcel to create a ± 1.60 hectare (± 3.95 acre) parcel and a ± 5.54 hectare (± 13.69 acre) parcel. Considered under the Greater Bragg Creek Area Structure Plan. Approved with conditions.