Council Decisions: February 7, 2023
Wednesday, February 8, 2023
Here is a summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the February 7, 2023 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council received, for information, the 2022 Year-End Audit Service Plan prepared by MNP LLP outlining how they will conduct the 2022 audit. MNP LLP will present their audit findings to Council on April 25, 2023. This plan is provided to Council on an annual basis as part of the provincially mandated audit process.
- Council approved the 2023 Tax Sale Conditions for County properties with three years’ worth of outstanding tax arrears. Terms include the acceptance of cash or certified cheque, a 10% deposit at the time of sale, and payment of the remaining 90% balance within 30 days of receipt by Rocky View County, plus GST.
- Council received, for information, a report from Legislative and Intergovernmental Services regarding the feasibility of creating a List of Electors (Voters List) and directed Administration to cease work on the preparation of a list of electors and, in its place, prepare a bylaw under the provisions of Sections 53 and 53.01 of the Local Authorities Elections Act that will require specified identification to substantiate an elector’s proof of eligibility to vote in future Rocky View County municipal elections. The bylaw is to be brought back for Council consideration by the end of 2023.
- Council approved a Motion first read into the record on January 24, 2023 directing Administration to work with Macdonald Communities allowing them to bring forward their proposal of the Cochrane Lake Revitalization plan to Council at the February 21, 2023 Council meeting.
- Council approved Late Tax Payment Penalty Bylaw C-8358-2023 intended to revise the structure for calculating tax penalties. The existing Bylaw C-4727-96 will be rescinded. Administration is directed to present a revised Late Tax Payment Penalty Cancellation Policy C-204 at a future Council meeting to align with the new bylaw.
The new bylaw will reflect the following structure:
- Four per cent (4%) of the outstanding current year tax amounts applied on July 1
- Four per cent (4%) of the outstanding current year tax amounts applied on September 1
- Four per cent (4%) of the outstanding current year tax amounts applied on November 1
- Twelve per cent (12%) of the total outstanding current year tax amounts applied on January 1
Planning and Development
- Division 4 – File: PL20220073 (08815008/08815009), Bylaw C-8365-2023, Road Closure Item: To close a ± 1.61 hectare (± 3.97 acre) portion of undeveloped road allowance of Township Road 282 located south of SW-15-28-04-W05M for the purpose of consolidation with the adjacent parcels to the north (Lot 4, Block 3, Plan 2110751 within SW-15-28-04-W05M, and the remainder of SW-15-28-04-W05M). Considered under the County Plan. Refused.
- Division 4 – File: PL20220120 (08810003), Bylaw C-8366-2023, Road Closure Item: To close a ± 1.61 hectare (± 3.97 acre) portion of the undeveloped road allowance off Township Road 282 located north of NW-10-28-04-W05M for the purpose of consolidation with NW-10-28-04-W05M. Considered under the County Plan. Refused.
- Division 6 – File: PL20220020 (04324022), Bylaw C-8292-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the ± 1.63 hectare (± 4.03 acre) subject lands from Residential, Rural District to Residential, Country Residential District to facilitate future subdivision of one new lot. Considered under the County Plan. Refused.
- Division 2 – File: PL20220117 (05704005), Bylaw C-8326-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the ± 0.89 hectare (± 2.21 acre) portion of SE-04-25-03-W05M (subject lands) from Direct Control District 27 to Special, Public Service District to accommodate an existing daycare. Considered under the North Springbank Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 1 – File: PRDP20224566 (03913077), Development Permit Item: Development permit application for construction of a Mixed-use Building (Drinking Establishment, Hotel, Liquor Sales, Restaurants, Signs, Specialty Food and Beverage Facility [the Laskin, (formerly referred to as the Bragg Creek Brewery)] and over height fencing [replacement of PRDP20194235]. Considered under the Greater Bragg Creek Area Structure Plan. Approved as amended.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Chief Administrative Officer Update” under Section 24 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, with no follow-up action.