Council Decisions: December 13, 2022
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Here is a summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the December 13, 2022 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council directed Administration to apply for the 2022/2023 Alberta Community Partnership Grant in partnership with the City of Airdrie for the Range Road 11/8th Street Corridor Study.
- Council approved the Terms of Reference for the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) Review to provide a comprehensive evaluation of the County’s current MDP in order to facilitate the updates required to align with the Calgary Metropolitan Region Growth Plan. The funding to complete the MDP review will be considered as part of the 2023 budget deliberation process.
- Council approved the Strategic Plan Key Performance Indicators related to the County’s three strategic themes of Service Excellence, Financial Health, and Responsible Growth which provides Council with objective measures of progress and performance toward the successes desired in the County’s Strategic Plan.
- Council referred Bylaw C-8353-2022 to a Council workshop in early 2023. This bylaw provides revisions to Special Events Bylaw C-7990-2020 reflecting key procedural changes and new permitting processes, including clear definition of event types, flexible submission deadlines, stronger notification language, and fee clarification.
- Council provided an update on the latest Calgary Metropolitan Regional Growth Board (CMRB) activities. Specific details can be reviewed on the meeting’s livestream video.
- Council received an update of the Terms of Reference for the Rocky View County and the City of Calgary Intermunicipal Committee (IMC) to facilitate the ongoing sharing of information between the two municipalities’ elected officials and Administrations, provide a forum for discussion, issue resolution, and greater intermunicipal cooperation at the elected official level, and enable Rocky View County and City of Calgary administrations to receive formal direction from the IMC on topics of mutual interest.
- Council received, for information, an update of the Council Resolution Tracker, including all active, ongoing and pending business items and their respective Administration directives.
Planning and Development
- Division 4 – File: PL20220092 (07607001), Bylaw C-8324-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Agricultural, General District to Business, Agricultural District (p1.9) to facilitate the addition of a cannabis processing use to an existing cannabis cultivation facility. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 3 – File: PL20210115 (05619033), Bylaw C-8269-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate Block 4, Plan 1688JK within NW-19-25-02-W05M from Agricultural, General District to Special, Public Service District to accommodate the development of a school for students with special needs. Considered under the Bearspaw Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Council also voted to approve the Renfrew Educational Services Master Site Development Plan (MSDP), PL20210114, which provides a non-statutory policy framework to guide development of the future school site on Block 4, Plan 1688JK within NW-19-25-02-W05M.
- Council then approved a Motion Arising directing Administration to bring a report for Council’s consideration of a formal request to the City of Calgary to allow Renfrew Education Services to connect to the City of Calgary’s wastewater service.
- Division 5 – File: PL20210208 (07212001), Bylaw C-8268-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate ±19.32 hectares (±47.75 acres) from Agricultural, General District to Direct Control District to accommodate aggregate extraction operations. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Council also voted to approve the Roe Gravel Pit Master Site Development Plan (PL20210207), which provides a non-statutory policy framework to guide and evaluate aggregate extraction on the site.
- Division 3 – File: PL20200112 (06721002), Bylaw C-8096-2020, Road Allowance Closure Item: To close a ± 4.00 acre portion of undeveloped government road allowance, in order to consolidate with the adjacent land to the east. Considered under the County Plan. Approved. Council also directed that the ± 4.00 acres of land be transferred to Redtail Holdings 2004 Ltd. upon fulfillment of conditions.
- Division 3 – File: PL20200113 (06721004), Bylaw C-8097-2020, Road Allowance Closure Item: To close a ± 3.4 acre portion of undeveloped government road allowance in order to consolidate with the adjacent land on the east side. Considered under the County Plan. Approved. Council also directed that the ± 3.4 acres of land be transferred to Cougar Springs Ltd. upon fulfillment of conditions.
- Division 7 – File: PL20190155 (03222206/03222685), Bylaw C-7975-2019, Redesignation Item: To redesignate portions of the subject lands from Residential, Urban District and Special, Public Service District to Residential, Mid-Density Urban District and Direct Control District, to facilitate a variety of housing forms including a seniors’ development. Considered under the County Plan. Approved as amended.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Facility Naming Rights Request” under Sections 16, 24 and 29 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session and voted to approve the proposed name for the Spray Lakes Sawmills Family Sports Centre, as discussed in closed session. It is to remain confidential until the public announcement is made by the Spray Lakes Sawmills Recreation Park Society.