Council Decisions: November 29, 2022
Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Here is a summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the November 29, 2022 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council approved an operational funding request from the Langdon Library Society of up to $70,000 in bridge funding to support library operations from December 2022 until June 2023.
- Council approved the proposed name of “Qualico Resource Centre” for the Youth and Library facility in Langdon Park in accordance with Recreation Facility Naming Rights Policy C-329.
- Council approved the five-year Cochrane Recreation Cost Sharing Agreement to formalize historical commitments toward recreational amenities, and to continue to build on a strong, sustainable foundation that will support recreational and cultural facilities and services in the best interests of Cochrane and County residents.
- Council directed Administration to incorporate policies and principles relating to recreational use of road allowances connecting to watercourses and waterbodies to future amendments to the Municipal Development Plan, area structure plans, active transportation plans, and Council Policy C-443, in accordance with Council direction and Administration’s annual work plan. Specific consideration shall be given to:
- supporting, in principle, retention of road allowances for public recreation use;
- identifying road allowance connection points and current usage through studies and public input;
- prioritizing or discouraging identified road allowances and access points through policies and implementation tools; and
- identifying measures to ensure the protection of adjacent private landowner interests in encouraging recreational use of a road allowance.
- Council voted to rescind the Gardner (West Elbow Valley) Area Structure Plan Terms of Reference, resulting in discontinuation of the project. Meeting minutes and video of the proceedings are available on the Meetings & Hearings webpage.
- Council directed Administration to issue a letter of support for the closure of Range Road 41 due to construction of the Springbank Off-stream Reservoir (SR1) as requested by Alberta Transportation. All work and costs associated with the implementation of the closure will be the responsibility of Alberta Transportation.
- Council denied the request for late tax payment penalty cancellation from the owner of Tax Roll 03321004 in accordance with Late Tax Payment Penalty Cancellation Policy C-204.
- Council approved a reduction in the late tax payment penalty for Tax Roll 05726018 in accordance with Late Tax Payment Penalty Cancellation Policy C-204.
- Council denied the request for late tax payment penalty cancellation from the owner of Tax Roll 05736125 in accordance with Late Tax Payment Penalty Cancellation Policy C-204.
- Council denied the request for late tax payment penalty cancellation from the owner of Tax Roll 06404511 in accordance with Late Tax Payment Penalty Cancellation Policy C-204.
- Council approved Bylaw C-8323-2022 which better defines the process and framework for establishing Road Use Agreements. Bylaw C-8323-2022 replaces the existing Road Use Agreement Bylaw C-8065-2020. The purpose of a Road Use Agreement is to minimize the impact of intense transport activities on area residents and to protect County infrastructure by transferring liability for road damage and maintenance costs from the County to the individual or company responsible for the transport operation.
- Council approved Bylaw C-8363-2023 which amends Procedure Bylaw C-8277-2022 to require that a first reading be considered after the associated public hearing, allowing Council to consider all three readings at the same meeting, unless otherwise permitted by legislation. The first Council meeting where a public hearing would be heard before the first reading of a bylaw is January 10, 2023.
- Council provided an update on the latest Calgary Metropolitan Regional Growth Board (CMRB) activities.
- Council received, for information, an update of the Council Resolution Tracker, including all active, ongoing and pending business items and their respective Administration directives.
Planning and Development
- Division 6 – File: PL20210200 (03321013), Bylaw C-8265-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Direct Control District 146 to Industrial, Light District p6.1 to facilitate additional outdoor storage and driving training. Considered under the Rocky View County/City of Calgary Intermunicipal Development Plan. Refused.
- Division 5 – File: PL20220001 (06302002), Bylaw C-8309-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject land from Agricultural, General District to Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p16.1) to facilitate the future subdivision of three additional agricultural lots. Considered under the County Plan. Refused.
- Division 2 – File: PL20220036 (05814006), Bylaw C-8294-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate a ± 8.10 hectare (± 20.01 acre) portion of the subject lands from Agricultural, Small Parcel District to Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p8.1) and to redesignate the remaining ± 19.63 hectare (± 48.51 acre) portion of the subject lands from Agricultural, Small Parcel District to Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p12.1) to facilitate a future single lot subdivision. Considered under the Town of Cochrane/Rocky View County Intermunicipal Development Plan. Approved.
- Division 3 – File: PL20220063 (06707002), Bylaw C-8308-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p12.1) to Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p8.1) to facilitate a future single lot subdivision. Considered under the Bearspaw Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “County Lands Remediation – Cochrane Gravel Pit and Airdrie Operations Centre” under Sections 24 and 25 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session and directed Administration to proceed to RFP for remediation of the Cochrane Gravel Pit and the Airdrie Operations Centre and present budget adjustments for Council’s consideration.