Council Decisions: April 26, 2022
Friday, April 29, 2022
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the April 26, 2022 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council approved the 2021 Audited Financial Statements, including details of a of $10.7 million operating surplus to be transferred to the Tax Stabilization Reserve, variance analysis, and an overview of audit findings by MNP LLP. Administration will submit the financial statements to the Province, as required by the Municipal Government Act.
- Following the annual financial report and 2021 Year End Auditor’s report, Council moved into a closed session under Sections 23 and 25 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, with no additional action.
- Council approved a net operating budget adjustment of $1,077,900 to finalize Rocky View County’s 2022 Operating and Capital budget, and directed Administration to transfer this amount to the Tax Stabilization Reserve for future projects/service level funding. Council also approved a budget adjustment of $1,191,700 to accommodate external requisitions collected through the property tax system for the Alberta School Foundation Fund, the Rocky View Foundation, and the Designated Industrial Property.
- Council approved 2022 Tax Rate Bylaw C-8282-2022 to authorize the rates of taxation levied against assessable property for the 2022 taxation year to support the general municipal services and emergency services delivered by Rocky View County to its residents.
- Council approved the 2022 Langdon Special Tax Rate Bylaw C-8283-2022, including an amendment to increase by $47,700 to assist the Langdon Community Association with the implementation of a youth center. This special tax is intended to support and assist in the quality and delivery of recreation services in the hamlet of Langdon including the development of community programs, amenities, and events.
- Council approved Local Improvement Tax Bylaw C-8284-2022 to impose a local improvement tax in Country Lane Estates for the completed Country Lane Estates Water Infrastructure project.
- Council directed Administration to provide a letter of support to the Bragg Creek Trails Association for the Active Transportation Fund application to support the remaining 4.5 km of pathways, which would result in a 10.1 km paved regional pathway connecting the hamlet of Bragg Creek to the Banded Peak School.
- Council received, for information, a report from Legislative and Intergovernmental Services outlining a request from The Trail Owners Council for senior County Administration representation on their association.
- Council approved a $80,000 funding request from Tsuut’ina Nation for the northern boundary fencing project along the shared 6.5 km boundary between the Nation and Rocky View County.
- Council provided an update on the latest activities regarding municipal and community committees including the the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board. In addition, Administration provided an update regarding a new MyBuild online portal by Building Services. Specific details can be reviewed on the meeting’s livestream video.
- Council received, for information, an update on the 2022 Council Priorities and Significant Issues list, including all active, ongoing, and pending priorities and initiatives to assist council on the status of business items.
- Council approved a Motion Arising, directing Administration to bring back the Live/Work land use for Council review along with an assessment of the advantages and disadvantages of introducing one or more new Home-Based Business development permit options, no later than July 26, 2022.
Planning and Development
- Division 2 – File: PL20200136 (05714039), Bylaw C-8186-2021, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Residential, Rural District to Residential, Country District to facilitate the creation of a ± 0.83 hectare (2.05 acre lot) (Lot 1) and a ± 0.83 hectare (2.05 acre) remainder (Lot 2). Considered under the Rocky View/Calgary Intermunicipal Development Plan, and the Central Springbank Area Structure Plan. Approved as amended.
- Division 3 – File: PL20210041 (07805013), Bylaw C-8189-2021, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Agricultural, Small Parcel District (p8.1) to Residential, Rural District to facilitate the creation of two ± 2.02 hectare (5.00 acre) parcels, with ± 4.42 hectare (10.91 acre) remainder. Considered under the County Plan. Approved as amended.
- Division 5 – File: PL20210102 (07426001/6002/6003/6004), Bylaw C-8206-2021, Redesignation Item: To redesignate ± 258.8 hectares (± 640 acres or four (4) quarter sections) from Agricultural, General District to Direct Control District to allow for a Solar Farm. Considered under the South Saskatchewan Regional Plan, the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Interim Growth Plan, and the City of Airdrie/M.D. of Rocky View Intermunicipal Development Plan. Refused.
- Division 4 – File: PL20210152 (06632003), Bylaw C-8285-2022, Road Closure Application: To close a 90-metre (295.2 feet) portion totaling ±0.28 hectares (±0.70 acres) of Road Allowance west of SE-32-26-02-W05M to facilitate future consolidation. Considered under the County Plan. Referred to the Minister of Transportation for approval.
- Division 5 – File: PL20220011 (06410060), Bylaw C-8280-2022, Amendment Item: A site-specific amendment to DC-99 to increase the maximum site coverage from 25% to 40% over Lot 1, Block 1, Plan 1611467, within NW-10-26-29-W04M. First Reading approved.
- Division 1 - File: PL20220024 (03909064), Bylaw C-8286-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Residential, Rural District (4.0 hectares) to Residential, Rural District to facilitate future subdivision. First Reading approved.
- Division 6 – File: PL20210187 (03322008), Bylaw C-8288-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands, 7.57 hectares (18.71 acres), from Agricultural, Small Parcel District (8.1 hectares) to Industrial, Light District (7.5 hectares) to accommodate future industrial development. First Reading approved.
- Division 6 – File: PL20210188 (03322005), Bylaw C-8289-2022, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands, 8.1 hectares (20.02 acres), from Agricultural, Small Parcel District (8.1 hectares) to Business, Live-Work District (8.1 hectares) to accommodate future commercial development. First Reading approved.
- All Divisions – Bylaw 8300-2022, Municipal Development Plan (County Plan) Amendments: To amend the Municipal Development Plan (The County Plan) to provide greater certainty in the definition of an un-subdivided quarter section for the purpose of assessing first parcel out subdivision proposals.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Spray Lakes Sawmills Family Sports Centre Personnel Matter” under Sections 23, 24 and 25 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, with no resulting follow up action.