Council Decisions: September 7, 2021
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the September 7, 2021 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council approved a budget adjustment of $13,333 to partially fund a Pathway Development Feasibility Study – Airdrie to Calgary. The Trans Canada Trail group will provide $30,000 of the $70,000 feasibility study cost, with the remaining $40,000 split three ways between the County, the City of Airdrie, and the City of Calgary. Council then directed Administration to work with the Trans Canada Trail group to execute the Contribution Agreement prior to September 10, 2021.
- Council directed Administration to place assessment and alleviation of the drainage issues experienced on private lands at 254050, 254082, and 254048 Range Road 285 on the County’s Policy 459 Storm Water Drainage Projects list, and to rank amongst others for consideration in the 2022 Budget, in response to a Notice of Motion read into the record on July 28, 2021.
- Council directed Administration to bring forward a report by September 21, 2021, that provides options and associated cost estimates, for Council’s consideration, that address the issues related to heavy industry hauling on Range Road 290, between Highway 566 and Township Road 270.
- Council approved a correction to the July 13, 2021 Council meeting minutes containing an error found on page 5 of 12, originally posted and approved on July 27, 2021. The revised meeting minutes will be reposted to the County’s website.
- Council approved Bylaw C-8216-2021, as amended, which outlines how the public can participate in public hearings, including allowing written submissions, received after the advertised submission deadline, to be accepted and provided to Council as part of the Public Hearing, if approved through a resolution of Council.
- Council provided an update on the latest Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (CMRB) activities, including information related to upcoming meetings scheduled for September 10 and 17. At the September 10 meeting, the County will defend both the Highway1/Old Banff Coach Road amendment to the Central Springbank Area Structure Plan and the Ascension Conceptual Scheme, each have been challenged by the City of Calgary. Livestreaming of the meetings is available. Meetings will then be suspended until after the October 18 Municipal Election.
- Council received, for information, an update on the 2021 Council Priorities and Significant Issues list, including all active, ongoing and pending priorities and initiatives to assist council on the status of business items.
- Council approved a motion first read into the record on September 7, 2021, directing Administration to bring forward a spruce budworm strategy, including associated costs and timelines, regarding the best approach for future management of the spruce budworm infestation in the County, and that the report be brought back to Council for their consideration by the end of November 2021.
Planning and Development
- Division 9 – File: PL20210002 (06717003), Bylaw C-8188-2021, Road Closure Application: To close approximately 1.25 acres of the undeveloped road (Road Plan 2479 Q) in order to facilitate future consolidation with the subject land. Considered under the County Plan. The bylaw received First Reading and will now be forwarded to the Alberta Minister of Transportation.
- Division 1 – File: PL20190198 (04834011), Bylaw C-8004-2020, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the lands from Agricultural General District to Direct Control District, in order to facilitate the future creation of a parking lot, outdoor storage, and storage facility. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 1 – File: PL20200168 (03917014), Bylaw C-8123-2020, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Agricultural Small Parcel District, to ± 15.42 acres of Residential Rural District for future creation of two lots, and ± 2.00 acres of Residential Country Residential District to accommodate future subdivision of one new lot. Considered under the Greater Bragg Creek Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 8 – File: PL20200186 (05735040), Bylaw C-8129-2021, Redesignation Item: To redesignate the subject lands from Residential Rural Residential District to Residential Country Residential District to accommodate future subdivision. Considered under the Bearspaw Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 9 – File: PL20210082 (08816005), Bylaw C-8215-2021: To redesignate ± 4.00 acres from Agricultural General District to Residential Rural District to allow for the future subdivision of one (1) ± 4.00 acre parcel leaving a ± 74.00 acre balance parcel. First Reading approved.
- Division 7 – File: PL20210097 (06532018), Bylaw C-8223-2021: To redesignate a portion of the subject lands from Agricultural General District to Residential Country Residential District to facilitate the creation of a ± 1.33 hectare (± 3.30 acre) parcel (Lot 1) and a ± 1.21 hectare (± 3.00 acre) parcel (Lot 2) with a ± 35.15 hectare (± 86.86 acre) remainder. First Reading approved.
- Division 6 – File: PL20210102 (07426001/6002/6003/6004), Bylaw C-8206-2021: To redesignate ± 640 acres – four (4) quarter sections – from Agricultural General District to Direct Control to allow for a Solar Farm. First Reading approved.
- Division 7 – File: PL20210103 (06513005), Bylaw C-8204-2021: To redesignate the subject lands from Business Recreation District and Direct Control District 150 to Commercial Highway District to accommodate light industrial or commercial uses. First Reading approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20210107 (05220009), Bylaw C-8214-2021: To redesignate a portion of the subject lands from Agricultural Small Parcel District to Residential Country Residential District, in order to facilitate the creation of four (4) new ± 2.00 acre lots leaving a ± 12.00 acre remainder lot. First Reading approved.
- Division 8 – File: PL20210120 (05618459), Bylaw C-8221-2021: To amend the Watermark Conceptual Scheme, inserting Appendix 9, which would provide a policy framework for the development of a 200 unit residential community catering to seniors. To be considered in conjunction with File PL20210121 (05618459) below. First Reading approved.
- Division 8 – File: PL20210121 (05618459), Bylaw C-8222-2021: To redesignate the subject lands from Residential Rural District to Direct Control District to allow the development of a 200 unit residential community catering to seniors. To be considered in conjunction with File PL20210120 (05618459) above. First Reading approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20190202 (05318003/004), Bylaw C-8228-2021: To adopt the Omni Conceptual Scheme to provide a policy framework to guide and evaluate the development of a portion of NW-18-25-28-W4M and a portion of NE-18-25-28-W4M. To be considered in conjunction with File PL20190203 (05318003/004) below. First Reading approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20190203 (05318003/004), Bylaw C-8229-2021: To redesignate the subject lands from Agriculture General District to Regional District, Business Regional Campus District, Special Natural Open Space District, Special Parks and Recreation District, and Residential Multi-Residential Urban District to facilitate a comprehensively planned commercial, business, and multi-family node within a portion of NW-18-25-28-W4M and NE-18-25-28-W4M. To be considered in conjunction with File PL20190202 (05318003/004) above. First Reading approved.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Memorandum of Understanding” under Sections 21, 24, and 27 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, and voted to decline the Memorandum of Understanding as presented in Confidential Report RVC2021-29.