Council Decisions: July 20, 2021
Wednesday, July 21, 2021
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the July 20, 2021 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council approved Bylaw C-8213-2021 to amend the Procedure Bylaw to enact the following changes:
- Extend the term of appointment for the chief elected official from one year to two years
- Provide for a one year term of appointment for the deputy chief elected official to align with the County’s current practice of appointing the position on an annual basis
- Change all references to the “election” of the chief and deputy chief elected official to the “appointment” of those positions to reflect that they are appointed by Council rather than elected through a vote of the electors
- Amend all references to the Reeve and Deputy Reeve to Mayor and Deputy Mayor throughout the bylaw to align with the Electoral Boundaries and Composition Bylaw C-8077-2021.
These amendments would come into effect on October 18, 2021, which is the date of the next municipal election.
- Council approved amendments to the following Terms of Reference documents, and corresponding Bylaws, to standardize the term of appointment for the following board members at large to three years and councillors, chairs, and vice chairs to two years:
- Agricultural Service Board
- ALUS Partnership Advisory Committee
- Bragg Creek FireSmart Committee
- Recreation Governance Committee
- Bylaw C-8200-2021: Appeal and Review Panel
- Bylaw C-8212-2021: Procedure Bylaw
- Bylaw C-8198-2021: Municipal Planning Commission
- Bylaw C-8199-2021: Family and Community Support Services Board
- Bylaw C-8201-2021: Assessment Review Board
- Council approved a motion first read into the record on July 20, 2021 directing Administration to bring forward options and associated costs for the assessment and alleviation of the drainage issues experienced on the private lands adjacent to Range Road 285, and that the report be brought back to Council for their consideration by September 7, 2021.
- Council authorized Administration to provide a letter of support for the Langdon Library Society’s application to the Canada Community Revitalization Fund for the proposed purchase of two modular units that will located on a future site, serving as an interim library location.
- Council provided an update on the latest Calgary Metropolitan Regional Growth Board (CMRB) activities including information related to the upcoming July 23 Board meeting, where the County will defend challenges to the North and South Springbank Area Structure Plans, and the Municipal Development Plan. The agenda for the meeting is available on the CMRB website.
- Council received, for information, an update on the 2021 Council Priorities and Significant Issues list, including all active, ongoing and pending priorities and initiatives to assist council on the status of business items.
Planning and Development
- Division 5 – File: PL20200137 (05305001), Bylaw C-8178-2021, Conceptual Scheme Item: To adopt the Conrich Crossing Conceptual Scheme to provide a policy framework to guide future redesignation, subdivision and development proposals within a portion of SE-5-25-28-W4M. Considered under the Conrich Area Structure Plan, and in conjunction with File: PL20200139 (05305001) below. Approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20200139 (05305001), Bylaw C-8179-2021,Redesignation Item: Agriculture, General District to Commercial-Local Urban District, Commercial-Regional District, Direct Control-Permanent Irrigation, Industrial-Light District, Mixed Commercial District, Residential-Small Lot District, and Special-Parks & Recreation District within a portion of SE-5-25-28-W4M. Considered under the Conrich Area Structure Plan, and in conjunction with File: PL20200137 (05305001) above. Approved.
- Division 7 – File: PL20200173 (06513002/06524001/002/004/007), Bylaw C-8132-2021, Conceptual Scheme Item: To adopt the Rocky Creek Conceptual Scheme that provides a policy framework to guide future redesignation, subdivision, and the development of a residential community with a mix of industrial, commercial, and recreational uses. Considered under the Balzac West Area Structure Plan, the Rocky Creek Country Club Conceptual Scheme, and in conjunction with File: PL20200174 (06513002) below. Approved.
- Division 7 – File: PL20200174 (06513002), Bylaw C-8133-2021, Redesignation Item: To redesignate ± 30.59 hectare (± 75.59 acre) of the subject land from Direct Control District to Residential, Mid-Density Urban District and Special, Parks and Recreation District, in order to facilitate the creation of 234 dwelling units. Considered under the Balzac West Area Structure Plan, the Rocky Creek Country Club Conceptual Scheme, and in conjunction with File: PL20200173 (06513002/06524001/002/004/007) above. Approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20210078 (04329003), Bylaw C-8193-2021: To amend the South Conrich Conceptual Scheme, including Appendix D, in order to allow residential use within a portion of Cell D. Considered in conjunction with File PL20210079 and PL20210080 below. First Reading approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20210079 (04329003), Bylaw C-8194-2021: To amend the Conrich Area Structure Plan to change a portion of the subject lands from Highway-Business to Residential – Form to Be Determined, to allow residential use. Considered in conjunction with File PL20210078 above and PL20210080 below. First Reading approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20210080 (04329003), Bylaw C-8195-2021: To redesignate ± 8.08 acres from Business, Local Campus District to Residential, Mid-Density Urban District to facilitate future subdivision into 47 lots. Considered in conjunction with File PL20210078 and PL20210079 above First Reading approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20210113 (04329003), Bylaw C-8210-2021: To redesignate ± 7.44 acres from Business, Local Campus District to Commercial, Mixed Urban District to facilitate future subdivision into 2 lots for commercial and senior care facility developments. First Reading approved.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Withdrawal of Appeal of Kissel et al v. Rocky View County, 2020 ABQB 406” under Sections 23 and 24 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, with no resulting follow-up action.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Bottrel Park Land Use” under Sections 24 and 25 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, with no resulting follow-up action.