Council Decisions: July 6, 2021
Wednesday, July 7, 2021
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the July 6, 2021 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council approved a motion first read into the record on July 6, 2021 directing Administration to withdraw the application to appeal Kissel et al v. Rocky View County, 2020 ABQB 406 due to the backlogged court system, upcoming municipal election, and in keeping with the County’s strategic objectives. This item will be debated at the July 20, 2021 Council Meeting.
- Council provided an update on the latest Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (CMRB) activities including a brief summary regarding the Board’s review of the North and South Springbank Area Structure Plans, and the Municipal Development Plan. Each plan has received challenges from the City of Airdrie, City of Calgary, Town of Cochrane, Town of High River, and Town of Okotoks. At the next Board Meeting, these challenges will be addressed. More information can be found on the CMRB website.
- Council received, for information, an update on the 2021 Council Priorities and Significant Issues list, including all active, ongoing and pending priorities and initiatives to assist council on the status of business items.
Planning and Development
- Division 9 – File: PL20200066 (06818002/8003/8004; 06913001/3003/4001/4002/5001, 06913002), Bylaw C-8073-2020, Redesignation Item: To redesignate portions of three (3) quarter sections and five (5) full quarter sections; totaling ± 391.10 hectares (± 966.43 acres) from Agricultural, General District to Special, Natural Resources for aggregate extraction. Considered under the Town of Cochrane/Rocky View County Intermunicipal Development Plan, and in conjunction with File: PL20200067 (06818002/8003/8004, 06913001/3003/4001/4002/5001, 06913002) below. Council voted for the application to be referred to Administration to work with the applicant to prepare a Direct Control District for an area located between Beaupre Creek and Grand Valley Creek, to be no greater than 160 acres in size, excluding the existing S-NAT parcel.
- Division 9 – File: PL20200067 (06818002/8003/8004, 06913001/3003/4001/4002/5001, 06913002), Master Site Development Plan Item: To approve a Master Site Development Plan in support of a land-use redesignation proposing the Special, Natural Resources District, and to provide a policy framework to guide and evaluate the development of aggregate extraction and processing on the site. Considered under the Town of Cochrane/Rocky View County Intermunicipal Development Plan, and in conjunction with File: PL20200066 (06818002/8003/8004; 06913001/3003/4001/4002/5001, 06913002) above. Council approved a motion for the West Cochrane Gravel Pit Master Site Development Plan to be referred to Administration to work with the applicant to reduce the area of the Master Site Development Plan for an area located between Beaupre Creek and Grand Valley Creek, to be no greater than 160 acres, excluding the existing S-NAT parcel.
- Division 9 – File: PL20210041 (07805013), Bylaw C-8189-2021: To redesignate the subject lands from Agricultural, Small Parcel District (A-SMLp8.1) to Residential, Rural District in order to facilitate the creation of two (2) ± 4.00 acre parcels, with ± 12.91 acre remainder. First Reading approved.