Council Decisions: June 29, 2021
Tuesday, June 29, 2021
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the June 29, 2021 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting Legislative Services at the County.
- Council continued consideration of amendments to the Balzac East Area Structure Plan Amendment Bylaw C-8173-2021 and approved second reading, as amended. The Plan will now be referred to the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board for approval.
- Council continued consideration of amendments to the Shepard Industrial Area Structure Plan Amendment Bylaw C-8172-2021 and directed administration to undergo further dialog with the City of Calgary on matters regarding cost and revenue sharing options; potential amendments to the Rocky View County/City of Calgary Intermunicipal Development Plan; and joint planning endeavors including a potential planning area. The County supports non-residential development in principle and also is supportive of collaborative planning with our neighbors to this end. Administration will bring back a report at the September 14, 2021 Council Meeting.
- Council received, for information, a report by Recreation, Parks and Community Support on the Langdon Library project, including proposed location options, and capital and ongoing operating fund commitments. Administration is directed to continue working with the Langdon Library Society and facilitate a partnership with a community group to develop a strategy for funding and for identifying a new indoor multi-purpose community space.
- Council approved $303,500 in funding to the Rocky View Regional Handibus Society to subsidize transportation costs related to medical and/or therapeutic appointments for seniors and persons with disabilities who reside in Rocky View County. The funding will come from the 2021 Specialized Transportation Grant.
- Council approved Administration cease the exploration Recreation and Parks Foundation, after a feasibility study determined this to be an unsuitable option for the County at this time.
- Council denied the request for late tax payment penalty cancellation from the owner of Tax Roll 06712040 in accordance with Late Tax Payment Penalty Cancellation Policy C-204.
- Council approved the use of special ballots, institutional and incapacitated voting to enable all residents of Rocky View County to access all voting opportunities for electors in their division, including incapacitated voters, the residents of the Prince of Peace Seniors Residence, and the residents of the Tsuut’ina Nation.
- Council approved Borrowing Bylaw C-8180-2021 to fund the water system upgrades for the Prince of Peace subdivision for the Harbor, Manor and School properties.
- Council provided an update on the latest Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (CMRB) activities including information related to the Board’s review of the North and South Springbank Area Structure Plans. Although the CMRB did recommend approval, challenges were received from the City of Airdrie, City of Calgary, Town of Cochrane, Town of High River, and Town of Okotoks. The deadline for review of the County’s Municipal Development Plan is the end of June. To date, only one challenge has been submitted from the City of Airdrie. More information can be found on the CMRB website.
- Council received, for information, an update on the 2021 Council Priorities and Significant Issues list, including all active, ongoing and pending priorities and initiatives to assist council on the status of business items.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Town of Cochrane Lease and Operating Agreement” under Sections 21, 24 and 25 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public session, and voted to refuse the request to terminate the Lease and Operating Agreement between Rocky View County, the Town of Cochrane, and Spray Lake Sawmills Family Sports Centre. Council then directed Administration to proceed in accordance with the mandate in confidential report RVC2021-22.