Council Decisions: July 14, 2020
Wednesday, July 15, 2020
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the July 14, 2020 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Council Minutes & Archives page. Details are also available by contacting the County’s Municipal Clerk’s Office.
- Council received, for information, a presentation from Calgary Economic Development representative Luke Azevedo on film activities in rural Alberta and Rocky View County.
- Council approved Bylaw C-8048-2020 that amends Land Use Bylaw C-4841-97, to ensure that advertisement requirements in the Land Use Bylaw are consistent with the Public Notification Bylaw. While the County will continue to provide written notification to landowners adjacent to approved developments, this amendment allows the County to have greater flexibility in the way in which it notifies residents on matters of public interest, including replacing public advertising in printed newspapers with notification on the County’s website.
- Council received, for information, a report by Administration outlining their response to recommendations by the Municipal Planning Commission regarding amendments to the Land Use Bylaw C-4841-97 to increase the time period of home-based business renewals to five years for third and subsequent applications.
- Council approved a request to defer Stormwater Offsite Levy by the applicant of Development Permit PRDP20193547 until Phase 2.
- Council approved the renewal of Development Permit Application PRDP 20184012 to allow for the continuation of existing natural resource extraction in accordance with the conditions of approval.
- Council approved the Terms of Reference for the developer-led and wholly developer-funded East Highway 1 Area Structure Plan to guide future development in the area in accordance with the County Plan and the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Regional Growth Plan.
- Council approved the creation of the Bragg Creek Satellite Library and associated budget adjustment of $90,000 plus GST from the Library Reserve Fund be allocated to find this initiative. Administration is directed to enter into an agreement with the Bragg Creek Community Association for the installation, maintenance, insurance, and operation of the Bragg Creek Satellite Library.
- Council approved Road Use Agreement Bylaw C-8065-2020 intended to better define the process and framework for establishing Road Use Agreements, to minimize the impact of intense transport activities on area residents, and to protect County infrastructure by transferring liability for road damage and maintenance costs from the County to the individual or company responsible for the transport operation.
- Council approved Road Closure Bylaw C-7825-2018 to close and consolidate a 0.54 acre portion of undeveloped road allowance along the north boundary of the specified parcel.
- Council approved Road Closure Bylaw C-7902-2019 to close and consolidate a 3.81 acre portion of undeveloped road allowance into adjacent lands described as SW-02-28-04-W5M.
- Council approved Road Closure Bylaw C-7966-2019 to close and consolidate a 1.87 acre portion of undeveloped road allowance with adjacent lands described as NE-23-25-03-W5M and SE-26-25-03-W5M.
- Council received for information an updated report regarding subdivision application conditions for Application PL20150130 and directed Administration to request that the Municipal Government Board vary its decision by deferring the Transportation Offsite Levy [Condition 13] as per the owner’s request under the Municipal Government Board Order 001/17.
- Council received, for information, an update on the 2020 Council Priorities and Significant Issues list, including all active, ongoing and pending priorities and initiatives to assist council on the status of business items.
Planning and Development
- Division 7 – File PL20200038 (06401017/06412003), Bylaw C-8042-2020, Redesignation Item: To redesignate a portion of NW-01-26-29-W4M (± 12.71 acres) from Industrial – Industrial Activity District to Public Services District, and a portion of NW-12-26- 29-W4M (± 23.19 acres) from Public Services District to Industrial – Industrial Activity District in order to accommodate adjustment to the proposed stormwater infrastructure at Balzac East High Plains Industrial Park. Considered under the Balzac East Area Structure Plan, and the High Plains Industrial Park Conceptual Scheme. Approved.
- Division 2 – File PL20190173 (04734003), Bylaw C-8010-2020, Redesignation Item: Ranch and Farm District to Direct Control District 148 to accommodate Phase 2 of the Bingham Crossing development. Considered under the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Regional Growth Plan, the Rocky View County/City of Calgary Intermunicipal Development Plan, the North Springbank Area Structure Plan, the Bingham Crossing Conceptual Scheme, the Bingham Crossing Master Site Development Plan, and in conjunction with File PL20190172 (04734003) below. Approved.
- Division 2 – File PL20190172 (04734003), Bingham Crossing Phase 2 Master Site Development Plan to redesignate the subject lands from Ranch and Farm District to Direct Control District 148. Considered under the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Regional Growth Plan, the Rocky View County/City of Calgary Intermunicipal Development Plan, the North Springbank Area Structure Plan, the Bingham Crossing Conceptual Scheme, the Bingham Crossing Master Site Development Plan, and in conjunction with File PL20190173 (04734003) above. Approved.
- Council approved a Motion Arising, directing Administration to enter into discussions with the developer, related to the above two items, to dedicate a small parcel of land suitable for the development of a community use building and report back to Council at the October 6, 2020 Council Meeting.
- Division 5 – File PL20190153 (04329003), Bylaw C-7957-2019, Amendment to South Conrich Conceptual Scheme: Revisions and Appendix to South Conrich Conceptual Scheme to allow for development of six new commercial parcels, one public utility lot, and municipal reserve parcels. Considered under the Rocky View County/City of Calgary Intermunicipal Development Plan, Conrich Area Structure Plan, South Conrich Conceptual Scheme, and in conjunction with File PL20190021 (04329003) below. Approved.
- Division 5 – File PL20190021 (04329003), Bylaw C-7959-2019, Redesignation Item: Ranch and Farm Two to Business – Business Campus and Public Services District relating to the South Conrich Conceptual Scheme for future commercial development to accommodate six business lots ranging from ± 4.2 to ± 7.5 acres, Public Utility Land, and municipal reserve lands. Considered under the Rocky View County/City of Calgary Intermunicipal Development Plan, Conrich Area Structure Plan, South Conrich Conceptual Scheme, and in conjunction with File PL20190153 (04329003) above. Approved.
- Division 8 – File PL20200051 (05618459), Bylaw C-8056-2020: Conceptual Scheme amendment to allow for multi-family dwelling buildings and a seniors facility. To be considered in conjunction with File PL20200050 (05618459) below. First Reading approved.
- Division 8 – File PL20200050 (05618459), Bylaw C-8055-2020: Residential redesignation from Three District to Direct Control District to allow the development of four multi-family dwelling buildings, up to 500 units total, including a senior’s housing facility and private residential dwelling units. To be considered in conjunction with PL20200051 (05618459) above. First Reading approved.
- Division 8 – File PL20200059 (06606046), Bylaw C-8060-2020: Residential Redesignation from Residential Two District to Residential One District in order to facilitate creation of a 2.2 acre parcel and 2.2 acre remainder. First Reading approved.
- Council approved a tabling motion regarding a Motion Arising in relation to adapting the format of First Reading staff reports. This will be considered at the July 28, 2020 Council Meeting.