Council Decisions: May 26, 2020
Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the May 26, 2020 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Council Minutes & Archives page. Details are also available by contacting the County’s Municipal Clerk’s Office.
- Council received, for information, a report on the findings made by external accounting consultant MNP LLP of the County’s 2019 year-end financial statements. Council approved the 2019 audited financial statements which will now be submitted to the Province as per the Municipal Government Act.
- Council approved the deferral of the Transportation Off-Site Levy for the proposed recreation facility and open space in the residential subdivision of Harmony, in accordance with the Municipal Planning Commission’s recommendation that the new lot will not draw considerable traffic.
- Council approved Development Permit application PRDP20200424 to construct a new storage shed in the community of Elbow Valley subject to permit conditions including payment of the Transportation Offsite Levy, submittal of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan, and other permanent control measures.
- Council endorsed an initiative by the Town of Crossfield to install a cable barrier on Highway 2 North of Crossfield in the interest of public highway safety and instructed Administration to send a letter of support on behalf of the Reeve to Transportation Minister Ric McIver for consideration by Alberta Transportation.
- Council approved a tabling in motion regarding the Terms of Reference for the developer-led East Highway 1 Area Structure Plan and directed Administration to report back to Council by the end of September 2020 to secure developer funding and/or our municipal neighbor’s participation.
- Council approved the Terms of Reference for the Glenmore Trail Area Structure Plan and associated budget adjustment, and directed Administration to look for cost recovery to any additional lands that may be developed in this Area Structure Plan.
- Council considered a motion regarding the need for improved internet servicing in Rocky View County. Council approved to have the main motion referred to Administration until a workshop can be scheduled, by September 30, 2020, to further discuss and educate Council on the practical aspects of providing internet in fringe rural/urban areas.
- Council gave approval for Administration to release the details of the agreement with Alberta Transportation regarding the Spring Bank Dry Dam Project, otherwise known as SR1, through a press release to be released immediately upon the approval by the Province of Alberta.
- Council received, for information, an update on the 2020 Council Priorities and Significant Issues list, including all active, ongoing and pending priorities and initiatives to assist council on the status of business items.
Planning and Development
- Division 8 – File PL20190107 (06712023), Bylaw C-7951-2019, Redesignation Item: Residential Two District to Residential One District, to accommodate future subdivision of a ± 0.81 hectare (± 2.00 acre) lot with a ± 1.25 hectare (± 3.09 acre) remainder. Considered under the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Regional Growth Plan, and the Bearspaw Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 6 – File PL20190164 (07104002), Bylaw C-7983-2019, Redesignation Item: Ranch and Farm District to Agricultural Holdings District to facilitate the creation of one 20 acre lot. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 7 – File PL20180153 (06410005), Bylaw C-7984-2019, Redesignation Item: Site-specific amendment to DC-109 to allow additional uses complementary to the existing Racetrack Entertainment Centre and surrounding area. Considered under the Balzac East Area Structure Plan, and in conjunction with File PL20190090 (0641002/0005/0058) below. Approved.
- Division 7 – File PL20190090 (0641002/0005/0058), Bylaw C-7985-2019, Redesignation Item: Master Site Development Plan relating to DC-109 for the racetrack and entertainment centre to facilitate future commercial development in a proposed sub-cell south of the racetrack. Considered under the Balzac East Area Structure Plan, and in conjunction with File PL20180153 (06410005) above. Approved.
- Council approved First Reading of Bylaw C-8048-2020 to amend the existing Land Use Bylaw C-4841-97 to ensure that advertising requirements are consistent between both the Land Use Bylaw and Public Notification Bylaw C-7860-2019.
- Divisions 4 – File PL20200028 (03305012), Bylaw C-8044-2020: Residential redesignation from Residential Two District to Residential One District, in order to accommodate the creation of a ± 1.22 ha (3.0 acre) parcel with a ± 1.22 ha (3.0 acre) remainder. Considered under the City of Calgary/Rocky View County Inter-municipal Development Plan. First Reading approved.
- Division 5 – File PL20200011 (03333001), Bylaw C-8049-2020: Janet Crossing Conceptual Scheme (Residential/Commercial). Considered under the Janet Area Structure Plan. First Reading approved.