News

Stay Fire Safe During the Holidays

Fire safety is important any time of the year, but as we gather with family and friends during the holiday hustle and bustle, keep the following safety tips in mind.

  • Use candles with care. In Canada, candles rank as the fifth most common cause of house fires, behind cooking, space heaters, electrical fires, and smoking. Never leave candles burning unattended, and be extra careful to keep them away from Christmas trees, decorations, curtains, and other flammable materials.
  • Ensure smoke alarms are functional and equipped with fresh batteries.
  • To reduce the risk of electrical shorts, check all indoor and outdoor decorations for frayed cords, and make sure they work.
  • Never use indoor-rated lights outdoors.
  • Don’t overload your circuits, and use extension cords wisely.
  • For outside decorations, tape off all connections to prevent moisture from getting in.
  • If you have a live tree, make sure it is watered frequently and checked every day.
  • Place your real or artificial tree at least three feet away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources, and don’t block doorways.

Enjoy a happy (and safe) holiday!

This article appears in Vantage Point, our monthly email newsletter. Subscribe online to stay informed about County news and updates.

Posted in: Vantage Point Fire & Emergency News & Updates Winter

Media Inquiries

Communications
media@rockyview.ca

Topics

Stay Informed