Council Decisions: June 11, 2019
Thursday, June 13, 2019
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the June 11, 2019 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda, and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Council Minutes & Archives page. Details are also available by contacting the County’s Municipal Clerk’s Office.
- Council received a general economic presentation from Todd Hirsch, Vice President and Chief Economist at ATB Financial for background information in their general decision making.
- Council received, for information, a report on roads shared with neighbouring municipalities (boundary roads). The report outlined road maintenance initiatives and issues, requirements for joint road closures, land acquisitions, and potential cost-sharing initiatives relating to boundary roads.
- Council voted to direct Administration to explore the feasibility of a joint, developer-funded Area Structure Plan for the Highway 1 Corridor between Rocky View County and Wheatland County and to report back on potential costs and revenue sharing models.
- Council voted to approve a property tax cancellation request for just over $1,400, relating to a fire in 2018.
- Council voted to receive, for information, two draft Inter-Municipal Collaboration Framework and Development Plans, one between the County and the M.D. of Bighorn, and the other between the County and Mountain View County.
- Council voted to approve a request to rename approximately 1 km of Range Road 291 immediately north of Highway 566 to John Church Lane, and waive the $500 renaming application fee.
- Council voted to direct Administration to engage a lobbyist or lobby firm to advocate for Rocky View County’s position on the Springbank Dry Reservoir Project (SR-1) project with the Alberta Government.
Planning & Development
- Division 7, File PRDP20190505 (07320007), Development Permit: Compost Facility, Type II and Manure Storage Facility. Refused. Council also voted that all of the offsite feedstock compost material entering the compost facility immediately cease and that a full site clean up of all onsite compost material be completed within 90 days of June 11, 2019.
- Division 4, File PL20190019 (03208009), Bylaw C-7883-2019, Re-designation Item: Ranch and Farm District to Agricultural Holdings District to add dairy farm and “you-pick” agriculture operations. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 5, File PL20190009 (05219002/03/04/05/10/11/12/13/14), Bylaw C-7891-2019, Re-designation Item: Fairways at Delacour Re-designation – Farm Districts to Hamlet Residential District and Business-Leisure and Recreation District. Considered under the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Interim Growth Plan, the Delacour Community Area Structure Plan, and the Fairways at Delacour Conceptual Scheme. Approved.
- Division 2, File PL20180120 (05711004), Bylaw C-7889-2019, Conceptual Scheme Item: Devonian Ridge Conceptual Scheme. Related to PL20180121 below. Considered under the Rocky View County / City of Calgary Inter-Municipal Development Plan, the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Interim Growth Plan, and the Central Springbank Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 2, File PL20180121 (05711004), Bylaw C-7890-2019 Re-designation Item: Agricultural Holdings District to Residential One District. Related to PL20180120 above. Considered under the Central Springbank Area Structure Plan and the proposed Devonian Ridge Estates Conceptual Scheme. Approved.
- Council voted to give first and second reading to amendments to the Rocky View County Municipal Development Plan (The County Plan) which were evaluated in accordance with the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Interim Growth Plan. The amendments will be referred to the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board for approval. The plan and amendments can be viewed on the County Plan webpage.
Budget and Finance
- Council voted to approve borrowing bylaws C-7877-2019 through C-7882-2019. These bylaws support earlier Council decisions on special initiatives in the 2019 Budget.
- Division 2, File PL20190001 (05707001), Subdivision Item: Harmony Stage 1, Phase 5 Re-Subdivision. Considered under the County Plan and the Harmony Conceptual Scheme. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.
- Division 2, File PL20190005 (05708082), Subdivision Item: Harmony Stage 2, Phase 10 Re-Subdivision. Considered under the County Plan and the Harmony Conceptual Scheme. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.
- Division 3, File PL20180104 (04702183), Subdivision Item: Elbow Valley West Multi-Lot Subdivision. Considered under the Municipal Government Act, the Subdivision and Development Regulations, the Elbow Valley West Conceptual Scheme and the Direct Control Bylaw. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.
- Division 5, File PL20180147 (03329002), Subdivision Item: Heatherglen Industrial Business Park, Direct Control District. Considered under the Rocky View County / City of Calgary Inter-Municipal Development Plans, the County Plan, the Janet Area Structure Plan, and the Heatherglen Industrial Business Park Conceptual Scheme. Approved by the Subdivision Authority with noted conditions.
- Council moved in camera pursuant to sections 16, 24, and 27 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act to consider the “Municipal Development Plan Proposal Recommendation” and the “Elbow Valley West Multi-lot Subdivision”. Council returned from the in camera session and passed a motion directing Administration to award a contract to O2 Planning and Design Inc. to complete work on creating a new Municipal Development Plan.
- Council moved in camera pursuant to sections 17 and 24 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act to consider a “Personnel matter” and an “Advice from Officials” matter. Council returned from the in camera session having delayed discussion on the personnel matter to a future meeting. On the “Advice from Officials” matter, Council passed a number of motions to censure and sanction three councillors under the Code of Conduct Bylaw. For details, see the meeting video or minutes.