Council Decisions: May 14, 2019
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the May, 2019 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda, and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Council Minutes & Archives page. Details are also available by contacting the County’s Municipal Clerk’s Office.
- Council approved their 2019-and-beyond Strategic Plan. The plan can be viewed on our Strategic Plan page.
- County voted to approve Specialized Transportation Grants of $289,000 to the Regional Handibus Society, $7,500 to the Bragg Creek Snowbirds Seniors Fellowship Society, and $7,000 to qualified individual applicants. The program assists with the provision of specialized transportation assistance for Rocky Viewers.
- Council voted in favour of suspending compliance action against short-term rental units (such as Airbnb rentals), pending completion of a new Land Use Bylaw.
- Council voted to put forward a motion at the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board suggesting the Board request, from the Minister of Municipal Affairs, a one-year extension on the deadline for completing a Regional Growth Plan to allow time to address water servicing.
- Council voted to reissue their January 2019 letter on the Springbank Dam project (known as SR-1) to the relevant new Alberta Government elected officials. The letter states that the County cannot support the SR-1 project until other options are evaluated properly.
- Council voted to include an event permit section in the Firearms Bylaw to allow for shooting during permitted events, such as a skeet shoot fundraising event. These changes will be forwarded to the Minister of Environment for approval. The Minister is responsible for the Wildlife Act, under which municipal firearms bylaws fall. Note that seeking ministerial approval is on hold pending the outcome of the May 28 vote on the item below.
- Council voted to give first and second reading to a motion to rescind the Firearms Bylaw. Consideration of Third (final) Reading will take place at the May 28 Council Meeting. The Firearms Bylaw remains in force unless Third Reading is approved.
Planning & Development
- Division 4, File PL20170029 (07802005), Bylaw C-7757-2018, Re-designation Item: Farmstead District to Public Services District to accommodate a religious assembly. Considered under the County Plan and Rocky View County / City of Calgary Inter Municipal Development Plan. Related to the item below. Approved.
- Division 4, File PL20170183 (02332005), Master Site Development Plan: Solid Rock Baptist Church. Considered under the County Plan and the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Interim Growth Plan. Related to the item above. Approved.
- Division 8, File PL20180156 (05630007), Bylaw C-7875-2019, Re-designation Item: Site-specific Amendment, Direct Control District 73. Considered under the Rocky View County / City of Calgary Inter-Municipal Development Plan, the County Plan, and the Bearspaw Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 3, File PL20180007 (04724003 /177), Bylaw C-7799-2018, Conceptual Scheme Item; Lazy H Estates Conceptual Scheme (Alandale Estates Final Phase). Evaluated under the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Interim Growth Plan, the County Plan, and the Central Springbank Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 4, File PL20180001, Further Consideration of Bylaw C-7781-2018: Second and Third Readings of the Bylaw to close a portion of Range Road 281. Approved.
- Division 2, File PL20190013 (04726013), Subdivision Item: Residential One District. Considered under the Municipal Government Act and the Springbank Area Structure Plan. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.
- Division 8, File PL20180044 (06606088), Subdivision Item: Creation of Two Residential Parcels. Considered under the Municipal Government Act, the County Plan, and the Bearspaw Area Structure Plan. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.
- Division 6, File PL20190002 (08515005/08515008/08515010), Subdivision Item: Boundary Adjustments. Considered under the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Interim Growth Plan, the Land Use Bylaw, and the County Plan. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.
- Council moved In Camera (in private) under sections 24 and 27 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Council moved back into the public meeting and voted to appoint Reynolds, Mirth, Richards, and Farmer LLP as investigators for matters under Council’s Code of Conduct Policy.