Council Decisions: October 23, 2018
Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the October 23, 2018 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Specific details can be found in this meeting’s agenda (see the Council Minutes and Archives page), or in the minutes of this meeting that will be printed in the next Council Meeting agenda. Details are also available by contacting the County’s Legislative and Legal Services department.
- Council conducted its annual organizational meeting:
- Councillor Greg Boehlke was re-elected Reeve, a position he has held since 2013. Councillor Al Schule was elected Deputy Reeve.
- Councillor Kim McKylor was re-elected Chair of Council’s Policy and Priorities Committee. The Vice Chair will be elected at the first committee meeting.
- Councillors Crystal Kissel, Kevin Hanson, Samanntha Wright, and Deputy Reeve Al Schule were elected to serve on Council’s Policy Review Committee.
- Council also appointed councillors and members of the public to various boards and committees. Please see Rocky View County Council Makes Annual Appointments for a full list.
- Council received, for information, an Economic Development Report covering 2017.
- Council voted to add $1.2 million to the 2018 Snow and Ice Control budget due to a particularly severe winter season in early 2018, which depleted the entire budget by mid-May. The additional funding support snow and ice control activities to the end of December.
- Council agreed to waive just under $600 in property taxes for the private land leased to the non-profit Dalroy Gymkhana Club.
- Council approved the Active Transportation Plan: South County. Active transportation is any human-powered transportation, such as cycling or walking.
- Council directed Administration to send a letter to Rocky View Schools seeking to convene a joint working committee to discuss an application by the Friends of Westbrook School for a $100,000 capital grant, and to examine revisiting the 20-year-old Reserves Agreement between the County and Rocky View Schools.
Planning & Development
- Division 9 – File 1042-155, Annexation: Annexation of 64.33 hectares (158.97 acres) of Rocky View County land by the Town of Cochrane for recreation and public purposes. Considered under the County Plan and the Cochrane North Area Structure Plan. Approved.
- Division 3 – File PL20160018, Bylaw C-7835-2018, Revision to Road Closure Bylaw C-7745-2017: Item to revise the 2017 bylaw to refine the property description to meet the needs of the Alberta Land Titles office in moving forward. Approved.
- Division 2 – File PL20180045 (05714035, Bylaw C-7824-2018, Re-designation Item: Residential Two District to Residential One District. Considered under the Central Springbank Area Structure Plan. First Reading was approved on September 25. Approved.
- Division 1 – File PL20180087 (03901008), Subdivision Item: Residential One District. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.
- Division 5 – File PL20180066 (03329006), Subdivision Item: Industrial – Industrial Activity and Public Services District. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.