Council Passes Cannabis Bylaw
Tuesday, October 16, 2018
As of October 17, 2018, marijuana (cannabis) consumption is legal in Canada, within the following rules:
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- You must obtain your cannabis from licensed stores and authorized retailers
- You may grow no more than four plants per household
- You may buy and carry no more than 30 grams at a time
The Alberta government has further regulated cannabis consumption by:
- Banning public consumption in areas frequented by children
- Banning consumption of cannabis within vehicles
- Setting location restrictions with buffers for schools, daycares, hospitals, and community centres
- Requiring cannabis growing at home to be done indoors
- Requiring all staff at cannabis retailers to be 18 or older, and purchasers to be over 18.
Municipalities now have an opportunity to consider additional regulations on cannabis consumption, and Rocky View County’s regulations can be seen in the Cannabis Consumption Bylaw (PDF).
Bylaws & Enforcement
News & Updates