Council Decisions: January 23, 2018
Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the January 23, 2018 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Specific details can be found in this meeting’s agenda (see the Council Minutes and Archives page), and the minutes of this meeting that will be printed in the next Council Meeting agenda. Details are also available by contacting the County’s Legislative and Legal Services department.
- Council approved the audit plan for the County’s 2017 financial statements. Rocky View County’s finances are independently audited in keeping with provincial regulations. The 2017 Rocky View County Audited Financial Statements will be available on the County’s website once the auditors have completed their work, likely in late April.
- Council appointed Reeve Greg Boehlke as Rocky View County’s representative on the new Provincially-mandated Calgary Metropolitan Regional Board, with Deputy Reeve Jerry Gautreau appointed as the alternate.
- Council refused a request to waive just over $1,425 in late tax penalties on a Division 5 property. The property owner withheld taxes in a disagreement with the County over responsibility for solving a drainage issue on the property.
- Council refused a request to waive just over $2,075 in property taxes on a Division 4 property. The taxes were triggered by a new communications tower on the property.
- Council set the conditions and date for the sale of properties in tax arrears. The sale date is April 20, 2018.
- Council appointed Deputy Reeve Jerry Gautreau and Division 9 Councillor Crystal Kissel to an Annexation Negotiating Committee. The town of Cochrane has served Rocky View County with a Notice of Annexation for two parcels of land totaling just over 64.3 hectares (approx. 159 acres) north of the town.
- Council approved these grants funded by Langdon’s Recreation Special Tax:
- The Langdon Community Association will receive up to $5,000 for their Baby Talk and Adopt-a-Planter programs.
- The Langdon Community Association will receive up to $15,000 for maintenance, general services, and volunteer training for the Langdon fieldhouse, community rink, and community playground.
- The First Bow Valley Scouts will receive up to $5,000 to replace and repair outdoor activity equipment.
- The Synergy Youth and Community Development Society will receive up to $5,000 for program leader wages, volunteer bursaries, and program supplies.
- Council approved a budget of $130,000 for a 2018 Rocky View County Census.
- Council appointed Jackie Diemert to the Rocky View Central District Recreation Board as a member at large from east of Highway 2 for a three-year term.
- Council voted to send a letter to the Alberta Minister of Transportation recommending the speed limit on the TransCanada Highway east of Chestermere be returned to 110 km/h, since an August 2017 reduction to 80 km/h does not seem to be effectively addressing safety concerns. The County is asking the Province to consider other solutions.
- Council approved a Mediated Settlement Agreement with the City of Calgary over their appeal of the County’s Glenbow Ranch Area Structure Plan. The County also agreed to participate in a regional recreation study for the northwest portion of Calgary and adjacent County lands, including the Bearspaw and Glenbow Ranch area. The specific agreements will remain confidential until they are ratified by both municipal councils.
Planning & Development
- Division 4 – File PL20170100 (03305007), Bylaw C-7737-2017, Re-designation Item: Fragmented Country Residential – Agricultural Holdings District to Residential Two District. Considered under the County Plan. Received First Reading. Subsequent readings will be considered upon the completion of technical studies and plans.
- Division 5 – File PL20170001 (03325002), Bylaw C-7746-2017, Re-designation Item: Ranch and Farm Two District to Business – Highway Frontage District. Considered under the County Plan. Refused.
- Division 1 – File PL20150065 (03925001), Third (final) reading of Bylaw-C-7709 -2017: Greater Bragg Creek Area Structure Plan amendment to include the Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (RCR) Wintergreen Golf Course and Country Club Redevelopment Conceptual Scheme. Considered under the Greater Bragg Creek Area Structure Plan and the County Plan. Refused. Related to the item below.
- Division 1 – File PL20150066 (03925001), Third (final) reading of Bylaw-C-7710-2017, Re-designation Item: Recreation Business District to Direct Control District – Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (RCR) Wintergreen Golf Course and Country Club Redevelopment. Considered under the Greater Bragg Creek Area Structure Plan. Refused. Related to the item above.
- Division 9 – File PL20170108 (06823011) – Third (final) reading of Bylaw C-7708-2017, Re-designation Item: Agricultural Holdings District to Residential Two District. Considered under the Cochrane North Area Structure Plan and the County Plan. Council directed that a new bylaw be developed, and that a public hearing be held at the March 13, 2018 Council Meeting to address this application.
- Division 7 – File PL20170166 (07505005), Subdivision Item: New and Distinct Use - Agricultural Holdings District and Ranch and Farm District. Approved by the Subdivision Authority.