Thank you to everyone who attended the Springbank Area Structure Plan open house in June and has provided feedback on the project so far.
The opportunity for comments on this phase of the project has now ended and a summary of the feedback we received is set out in the report below.
The County has identified the following forthcoming milestones in the project:
- Assess impacts of Interim Growth Plan on the Springbank Area Structure Plan process (October 2018).
- Prepare high-level land use options and revisions to vision, goals, and objectives (October 2018).
- Present engagement findings and Interim Growth Plan impacts to Council, and confirm direction on project (November 2018).
- Develop more detailed scenario(s) and commence detailed servicing and transportation studies based on Council direction (end of 2018).
- Stakeholder engagement on Plan (early 2019).
- Commence first draft of Area Structure Plan policies and selected land use scenario (2019).
For questions, updates or further information on the project, please contact Dominic Kazmierczak at DKazmierczak@rockyview.ca or 403-230-1401.
The plan will be prepared in the following phases:
- Phase 1 (Complete)
November - December 2016
Some technical work and early engagement with the community was undertaken in this Phase.
- Phase 2 (Complete)
January - June 2017
This phase marked the official public launch of the project and included engagement on setting the community vision, objectives and high-level land use strategy. A revised Terms of Reference was adopted by Council on May 23, 2017.
- Phase 3 (Complete)
June 2017 - June 2018
The draft vision, objectives and potential land use scenarios will be completed in this phase and presented to stakeholders for comment. The land use scenarios will be supported by preliminary technical assessments on transportation and servicing.
- Phase 4
July 2018 onwards
In this phase, the draft vision, objectives and land use scenarios will be used in discussions with the Growth Management Board and to negotiate the inclusion of identified growth areas within the interim growth plan.
- Phase 5
To be determined based on Phase 4
When the direction of the Growth Management Plan and regional growth plan is better understood, Rocky View County will proceed with drafting the new Springbank Area Structure Plan(s).
June 2018 Open House (Phase 3):
June 2017 Coffee Chats (Phase 2):
February 2017 Open House (Phase 1):
It has been over 15 years since Springbank’s Area Structure Plans were adopted. In that time, Springbank and neighbouring areas have continued to grow, and conditions have changed.
Currently, Springbank contains three Area Structure Plans:
- The Moddle ASP [PDF] (adopted in 1998): addresses development a quarter section surrounded by the Central Springbank ASP, located adjacent to and north of Lower Springbank Road, and east of Range Road 31.
- The North Springbank ASP [PDF] (adopted in 1999): covers 4,350 acres. The plan boundaries extend as far as Range Road 32 to the east, Range Road 35 to the west, Township Road 251 A to the north, and Township Road 245 to the south.
- The Central Springbank ASP [PDF] (adopted in 2001): boundaries extend to the Bow River in the north, the Elbow River to the south, Calgary to the east and one mile west of Range Road 33. The TransCanada Highway bisects the plan area and Highway 8 touches its southeastern corner.
View a map of the Study Area (PDF)
The Springbank Area Structure Plan process will result in an up-to-date plan(s) that respects the values of the community; accounts for current conditions; and aligns with related plans, policies, and studies that have been adopted since the original Springbank plans were completed.
During the process, we will look at some important issues, such as community identity, conservation, land use, housing options, economic development, local services, amenities and infrastructure. We will also look at whether or not to combine the three current Springbank Area Structure Plans into one. For more information on the Springbank ASP process, please watch this short video.
A new Springbank Area Structure Plan will ensure we have an up-to-date plan that aligns with other plans, policies, and studies that have been adopted since the original Springbank plans were completed. Please visit the links below to review these related plans, policies, and studies:
There are several ways to get involved in this project.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.230.1401.
- Fill in the form below and we will send you regular email updates.
- Follow the project on this webpage. We will post updates and upcoming events.