On July 23, 2021, the Municipal Development Plan was presented to the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (CMRB) for consideration. The Plan was rejected by the Board, despite a CMRB Administration recommendation of approval and a third-party review which found them compliant with the Interim Growth Plan. Meeting minutes and video of the proceedings are available on the CMRB Board & Committee webpage.
Administration is working to prepare options for Council’s consideration on next steps for both Plans and will present these at a future Council meeting.
On March 9, 2021 Council voted to give second reading to the proposed Municipal Development Plan (MDP) (Bylaw C-8090-2020).
At the same meeting, Council also gave direction to refer the MDP to the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (CMRB) for approval.
Prior to second reading, recent Council milestones on the project included:
- First reading of the Bylaw on October 6, 2020
- Public Hearing on February 16, 2021
- Consideration of amendments to MDP Bylaw on March 8, 2021
- On June 2, 2021, CMRB Administration recommended approval of the Municipal Development Plan after a third-party review deemed them consistent with the Interim Growth Plan.
- On June 25, 2021, CMRB Administration posted challenges to the recommendations of approval by the City of Airdrie, City of Calgary, Town of Cochrane, and Town of Okotoks.
- The Plan was defeated at the July 23, 2021 Calgary Metropolitan Region Board meeting.
Recordings and reports relating to these meetings are available on the Council agenda webpages.
Copies of the second reading draft are set out below. The first copy is a red-lined version showing all the amendments from first reading (red text) and following the public hearing (blue text).
The second copy consolidates all of the amendments approved by Council, and is the version that was submitted to the CMRB for approval.
What is a Municipal Development Plan?
The Municipal Development Plan (MDP) outlines the vision for Rocky View County’s future from a planning and development perspective, and helps guide how and where the County will grow. The County is currently in the process of replacing the existing Municipal Development Plan, called the County Plan. The new Municipal Development Plan will be developed with input from residents throughout the County to ensure it reflects local opportunities and challenges.
Why is it important?
Rocky View County will likely grow by at least 15,000 people in the next 20 years. The Municipal Development Plan sets the vision for how to accommodate this growth responsibly and will serve as an important decision-making tool for Council, County Administration, and stakeholders. The Municipal Development Plan will help all residents and landowners understand how their land may be used now and in the future, and ensure that growth meets the needs of the community.
What is the difference between a Municipal Development Plan (MDP) and an Area Structure Plan (ASP)?
The Rocky View County Municipal Development Plan (MDP) guides overall growth and development for the entire County, whereas an Area Structure Plan (ASP) provides a detailed framework for the development of a specific community. An ASP falls within the MDP’s county-wide boundary and must align with the MDP’s established policy framework. There is one MDP to guide Rocky View County, and there are 20 currently approved ASPs operating within the County.
The Municipal Development Plan will be prepared in five stages, of which we are currently in Stage 5.
||Vision & Principles
||August – September 2019
||November – December 2019
||May – June 2020
||Public Hearing and Council Second Reading
||February – March 2021
||Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Review
||April – July 2021
There are several ways to stay informed about this project.
- Contact Dominic Kazmierczak at DKazmierczak@rockyview.ca or 403.230.1401 for questions, updates or further information.
- Fill in the form below to receive project updates and learn about opportunities to participate.
- Follow the project on this webpage. We will post updates and upcoming events.