Cochrane is the nearest town with community and recreation facilities.
- Spray Lake Sawmills Family Sports Centre
305 Griffin RD, Cochrane (map)
This facility holds over 195,000 square feet of opportunities including a curling rink, gymnasium and gymnastic facilities, three indoor ice surfaces, an indoor sports field and running track, several meeting rooms, concession, weight room, and a large fitness centre.
- Cochrane Curling Club
109 5 AVE, Cochrane (map)
The curling league is an active organization for those of all ages, and runs from October to March. The club has four ice sheets, a private members lounge , and onsite restaurant and two locker rooms.
- Cochrane RancheHouse
101 RancheHouse Road, Cochrane (map)
The ranch style facility has a hall, meeting rooms, a dining room and a theatre for conferences and events.
- Cochrane Agriculture Grounds
Northwest corner of HWY 22A and 1A (map)
A hosting facility for agriculture events.
- Dartique Hall
The hall sits northwest of Cochrane (map), and has community events and rentals for special occasions.
The County has nine electoral divisions, and a councillor represents each division.
Bottrel is serviced by Madden Fire Station 105 which is a volunteer station providing fire coverage for the far northwest area of the County.
Bottrel was named after Edward Botterell who came to area from Montreal in the late 1880’s. Together, with E.H. Botterell, he established the Dog Pound Ranch which was later renamed the Botterell Ranch. After several changes in ownership, the ranch was finally purchased in 1905 by John Thomas Boucher.
In 1908, Mr. Boucher built a cheese factory and opened the Bottrel General Store and post office, saving residents the trip to Crossfield for supplies and mail. The store continues to serve the area. In 1913 the Dog Pound Hall was built and used for community functions, and in 1967 a new Quonset type hall was built.
A park and campground were eventually established on Dogpound Creek.
Call 911 for medical emergencies. Rocky View County is serviced by ground ambulances operated by Alberta Health Services.
The nearest acute care hospitals with emergency services are:
The hamlet of Bottrel has a designated picnic area. Other nearby parks & recreation areas include:
- Big Hill Springs Provincial Park has natural regions of parkland, foothills, a large spring and a series of waterfalls providing for a beautiful backdrop for a peaceful walk. The park is located northeast of Cochrane on RGE RD 34A off HWY 567.
- The Ghost Reservoir Provincial Recreation Area on Ghost Lake is great for boating and sport fishing. It is located west of Cochrane.
- Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park is located along the north shore of the Bow River between Calgary and Cochrane. The park consists of more the 1,300 hectares of foothills parkland.
- The nearby Town of Cochrane has 24 playgrounds, 11 soccer pitches, 8 ball diamonds, 2 tennis courts, 2 outdoor rinks, a swimming pool, a skateboard park and over 30 km. of pathways.
Call 911 for all emergencies.
Responsible for keeping the peace, preventing crimes and investigating crimes already committed.
- RCMP Cochrane Detachment
Rocky View County Enforcement and Compliance
Responsible for public safety, promoting traffic safety, protecting County roads and infrastructure and enforcing County bylaws.
The County currently does not provide water servicing in Bottrel. Water service is by private water wells.
The County currently does not provide wastewater servicing in Bottrel. Wastewater servicing is through private septic systems or pump-out systems.
Electricity & Natural Gas
Electricity and natural gas are deregulated in Alberta. The Alberta Government has a website to assist customers with choosing a provider for a residence or business. Contact your distributor in the event of a natural gas emergency.
Please contact FortisAlberta for electrical emergencies, power and streetlight outages at 403.310.9473 or at the FortisAlberta website.